Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have 4 ***** ***** original paintings which I wish to sell

Customer Question

I have 4 ***** ***** original paintings which I wish to sell by auction, The largest is 75mm x 50mm entitled Victoriana painted in 1980 and cost £550 in 1986. The others are same vintage but smaller
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.I will be pleased to help you.Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls.I give my best answers in writing when I have time to think about them.Sometimes a "Chat box" will pop-up asking if you would like a live conversation. Please know it is not from me. What is the medium of your paintings - oils, watercolors, etc? What is the subject matter of your paintings? Kind regards,Doris
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.
Size - I think you may mean "cm" rather than "mm"?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought you would know about ***** *****. Allher paintings are in oil with a very fine brush. She paints every day items like Teddy Bears and contents of a cupboard. I don't understand how you can value them unless you know about her work. She dies in 2012 in her nineties and she is well sought after in UK. I think I have contacted the wrong person (with respect) and I will now approach Sotherbys. Please cancel my enquiry and return my fee. Very sorry to have troubled you. Best Wishes ***** *****
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.
I actually know quite a lot about ***** *****. She painted much more than teddy bears and cupboard contents.She worked both in oils and watercolors.Grant bought all of her paintings at one of her exhibitions. My questions I asked of you are standard questions any appraiser would ask. If you wish to reconsider your thoughts about canceling, please let me know. If you wish to continue, I need to know the medium and the subject matter. Kind regards,Doris
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.
This is why I need medium and subject matter - When assessing an artist's work, appraisers must look at completed sales of works by the same artist. Art gallery sales prices are private.We must then go to auction sales prices which are public. When using comparable work by the same artist, medium, subject matter and size are factors to be considered.Appraisers most often use price per square inch of previously sold comparable works by the same artist as a measure of value.As retail art gallery sales are private, I may be only able to give you auction value. Kind regards,Doris