Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
63759197

RobertThis is my fourth attempt to send you pictures hope

Customer Question

Hello RobertThis is my fourth attempt to send you pictures hope you get them If i could have a proper e mail address it might work better pleaseAnyway here goes more photos of antiques use the credit card or if you want it again just let me know thanks william
Them items include A glass plate one of a series of 10 I have B the blue basin and blue pot with lid are seperate items C sewing machine is childs toy of 1930 D the silver boat is only one of 5 of Dublins Millinium Any questions just drop me an e mail
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** the photos came through perfectly.How long are the carved bamboo pieces?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great thanks RobertThe bamboo pieces are 10 inches long
Incidentaly the glass plates are Faust and are 3 inches square (10 of them in the box)thanks William
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.
Hi William,So here are the appraisals for the next two:(1) Carved bamboo figural poem couplets.These carved bamboo items are very nice and extremely collectible now that all things Chinese are so popular again. They are known as carved bamboo poem couplets, for display hanging on the wall and inscribed with auspicious lines of poetry that usually rhyme one with the other.The characters are written in an ancient style known as bronze script, that appears on bronze ritual vessels from the Zhou dynasty three thousand years ago. Bronze script is notoriously difficult to read, even Chinese scholars struggle with it, so is way above my pay grade to translate it.The value is in the age and artistic merit of the carving, which in this case is excellent. This pair would have an auction value in the range of $300 - $400. They therefore have a full retail/replacement/insurance value of at least $1200. (2) A set of 10 glass plate transparencies of Goethe's Faust.These old late Victorian magic lantern slides are all worth about the same, unless the subject matter is of architectural, geographical or historical interest. Usually one has to pay about $10 a slide, so your set of ten would have a full retail or replacement/insurance value of around $100.Hope this helps!Best wishes,Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Robert
That is all very interesting Its like watching the Antiques Road showgreat thanks william
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.
You are most welcome! You're right, it can be like an on-line version of the Roadshow, sometimes. However, most of what I do is like the early days of the show when many items of low value were shown, and rather fewer of the high dollar ones, and you heard Henry Sandon say over and over again: "It's a lovely thing, but sadly unappreciated".
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello RobertCarry on with the rest of the items at your convenience. Its all very interestingthanks william