Glenda B. Appraiser
Glenda B. Appraiser, Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience buying and selling antiques as a collector and 14+ yrs. as antique store owner. Member of Association of Online Appraisers and AADA.
53729464

Hand painted map by Joseph Paine of Duke of Bedford's Estate

Hand painted map by Joseph Paine of Duke of Bedford's Estate Eaton Socon.
It appear to be for of planning. His father ran a building business.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. Appraiser replied 10 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** very important to be able to see what the customer has in order to give a correct informed value! .Here are instructions for sending images several ways, you can choose which one best fits you , be sure it is uploaded to your computer,.If you do not see the blue button that states attach file at the bottom of your page here are instructions to upload images !.Click the link: for instructions on uploading images .http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert . Or you may use this method:.Go to www.imgur.com.click on Computer.Select the picture file from the box that pops up..Hit open..Click on Start Upload.And then copy the link they give you (it will look similar to this http://www.imgur.com/xxxx) and paste it here..Or:Send them like this: In an Email! This can take awhile depending on how busy they are at Just answer, they do forward them to me. .Send the picture to ,***@******.***, in the subject line put " Pictures for Glenda B in Antiques"..In the body of the message put , your user name and name..Make sure to send these from the same address that you registered with just answer with , so they know who you are. If you send from a phone the email address on the phone you use has to match the email address you used to register on the justanswer site with. . Sometimes it can take over 24hrs, depending on how busy the site is. We the appraisers are not employees of the Just Answer site, we come to the site to answer questions, we do not work there. They get photos in from customers, they then send them to the correct departments ( categories, ) then they are forwarded to the appraisers. I have no control over how fast all of this happens. I will let you know as soon as they send them to me..Glenda
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Gosh I have tried to follow the instructions which are being uploaded
My email address***@******.***
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I think this is too difficult fr my computer skills.
I cannot find the rout for direct sending pictures that direct to the email address you gave.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
There are more
HelloI can see them thank you. Can you tell me what size this and is the map dated?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
29"by 22" north east division of Duke of Bedford's Estate North East Division
Joseph Paine is a relative and if I have got it right died at the age of 17 .
Therefore map has to be 1840
Does it say who printed this? Did you say this map is on the back of another map?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It does not appear to have been printed. It is rolled up and on very thick material
HelloSo you think Joseph Paine hand drew this, even all the block lettering that is shadowed? It appears to me to be printed on a printing press, a type set print. I guess he could have been the one to hand set the type set.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
That is very interesting and I can understand what you think as to me he was very young to write all this
HelloDid you say this is on the back of something else?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Bradford's railway map of Great Britain and Ireland dated 1891Classic Kempton Shoe
Can you send me a picture of the map the railway map? I am trying to determine if that side has a value. As well as the side he hand drew.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
This is all I have
I am going to see if I have this right. Your relative drew on the back of this railway map? He then colored portions of it? I notice the bottom of the pictures you just sent, where it says Enos Fruit salt. Is that on the map your relative drew on? I do not see the wording enos fruit salt on his work.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No Enos fruit salt is on the back of the railway map. The map has been stuck onto the back of the map / plan that is coloured.
I agree that there is a hint of colour on the railway map.
HelloOk now to be sure I am right., You have a Railway Map dated to 1891. Then your relative took the map he did, and stuck it to the back of the Railway Map? So you have the map glued to the back of a railway map. I assume he did this to make it thicker? I cannot imagine why he stuck it to the railway map. I did find that the old railway maps original ones from the 1800's seem to sell ok. But they do not have anything stuck on the back of them. I also found values for hand drawn maps from the era you have. I can value the map of your relative based on that, if you like?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have now got the family and Joseph died 1832 aged 17.
I therefore think the map of the estate was made before that date and when it was no longer used the railway map was stuck on the back
HelloOk, so you want me to value the map he did right?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I can't believe the railway map will be removed whole but with the glue used it might be possible by an expert.
So the estate map yes please and interesting to have an idea about the railway map
Hello .This is your answer, please rate this after reading the answer. You do so clicking one of the top stars or smiley faces ( on phones possibly )!.The Estate Map Hand Painted/Drawn by Joseph Paine, ( glued to the other map ) has an estimated value on the current market for an average of $250.00-300.00 depending on the condition and where it is for sale at. If they Railway Map were on it's own, not glued to something else it would value out at an estimated of $400.00-500.00. These will typically sell higher in an Antique Shop or Private sale compared to an auction. If you are thinking of selling, you might want to check your local Antique Shops in the area to see what yours or one like it would sell for or has sold for, then you can decide to sell online or locally..Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained. If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from. You can sell in your local area or a larger city near you with Craigslist, it is free, and when they item sells the buyer picks it up..You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is also Rubylane, which is a more upscale site where people sell more expensive items. There is also Tias and GoAntiques, which is on the same scale of Rubylane. There is Amazon Market Place, ArtFire and of course Ebay. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great! If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item..If you have more items you would like to ask me about, just start a new question addressed to "Glenda" it would be my pleasure to help you..Rating of the answer is for my professionalism in my communications with you..It is not based on the value of an item, which appraisers have no control over, or any site issues ( technical or otherwise) that may occur while using the site..As appraisers we do not work for the Just Answer Site. After being verified we are allowed to come to the site to answer customer's questions.The only way we are compensated for our time, is by the rating you give. Clicking one of the stars or smiley faces is very much appreciated. If you find you have a problem being able to rate me, please let me know..It was a pleasure working for you,:) ( smiles ).Glenda
Glenda B. Appraiser, Antiques Appraiser
Experience: 40+ yrs. experience buying and selling antiques as a collector and 14+ yrs. as antique store owner. Member of Association of Online Appraisers and AADA.