Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine & Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA, USPAP Compliant through 2019
71377891

Many years ago I was given 2 beautifully decorated

Customer Question

Many years ago I was given 2 beautifully decorated KIOTO,late mayers, BG&W plates I have no idea what the details on the reverse mean.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

In order for me to properly assess what you have I will need to see images and clear, in-focus close-ups of the marks.

If you had already attached images to your initial posting, they are not showing for me here on my end.

Please send the photos at your convenience. There is not an extra charge to provide more pictures here.

~Nora

Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Your plates were made sometime between 1878 - 1881.

Kioto is the pattern name.

The letters BGW are for the makers Bates, Gildea & Walker. The Late Mayers is an ode to the founders of the pottery prior to the new owners. If there is a diamond shape with an R in the center, that is the English Registry mark that can tell you the exact day, month, year these were made. I can help decipher that if you have a photo.

On today'smarket, these plates sell for an average of $10 - $25 USD each, or 7-17GBP each. Before the recession, these could sell for up to $50 - $60 each or 35-41GBP.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora

Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance?

Please let me know.

Sincerely,

Nora