Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

WHERE ARE KIOTO AND DO THEY STILL MAKE PLATES?

Category: Antiques
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.
Hello,My name is ***** ***** I would love to help.Please use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures of the item and any marks, labels or writing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have already tried but the pictures of the plate will not connect.
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.
You can email pictures to***@******.*** and put 'for rarewares in antiques' in the subject line.These do not arrive instantly, so thanks in advance for some patience when sending this way.
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.
Kyoto is in Japan, by the way. There were many factories there, so that is why I need to see what you have and the mark.Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have waited too long for a response so my battery is very low. I feel I should not be charged extra for a phone call as I was being given ads for lawyers. I will put this down to experience. Thanks. Mrs H
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.
I do not participate in the phone call service, so that must have been an automated pop-up.The experts here work for the site but not at the site and therefore have no connection or knowledge of your account or charges.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I can get the pictures of the front and back of the Kioto plates attached later this evening I will send them to the address given at Rarewares. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pic of Kioto plate attached?
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.
The photo is here, may I see the back?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Trying to get it to connect.
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.
No need. I know what this is now that I see it.This is English transferware in the Kioto pattern made by Bates, Gildea and Walker of Burslem, Staffordshire, England in 1880. The pattern was made in clobbered polychrome (many colors) transferware and in brown, blue and green. The pattern is a rather complex one, with several borders around a circular cartouche which contains a bird (much like a woodpecker) perched on a branch. Beneath the bird is a vivid blue segment which is repeated in the border pattern. The border pattern also includes cranes or herons standing and in flight. The pattern name of Kioto is a representation of the Japanese aesthetic period in design of the late 1800's.This plate has a value of $40.00.They no longer make these, of course, but there are plates available online quite often. You would search for Bates, Gildea and Walker Kioto pattern plate as a search term.It is important for you to click the stars after you have read this answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the information which has been helpful. I will probably give the plates to the local charity shop next week
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.
To finish, please click the five stars at the top of your screen and hit submit so that site knows that I have helped you today.