Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years.Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

I have a silver kangaroo with a removable head. The head has

Customer Question

I have a silver kangaroo with a removable head. The head has small slits in it. The silver hallmarks are as follows: E H or N S , head facing left , lion, H , cats head. Can you possibly tell me anything relating to this information?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls.
I give my best answers in writing when I have time to think about them.
Sometimes a "Chat box" will pop-up asking if you would like a live conversation. Please know it is not from me.

I can identify the date your piece and tell you where it was made if you send me a clear, close-up photo of the hallmarks.

It also would be be best if I have a photo of your piece.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the marks.

If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the marks and take a photo of the sketch.

To send photos you may use the "attach file" or "add file" in the blue box link on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

Also, tell me the height of the piece.

Doris

Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

The lion on the hallmarks indicates that you have a piece of English sterling silver. The cat head is a leopards head which indicates that the piece was assayed in London. The head facing left is the monarch profile who was reigning at the time. The H, depending on the shape or cartouche and font of the letter can be decoded when seen to establish the year made. The EH or NS are the silversmiths initials. I can trace the year and probably the maker by seeing images.

Feel free to add photos here at anytime, there is not an additional charge to send pictures here.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora

Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance?

Please let me know.

Sincerely,

Nora

Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

I dislike having to intrude here but I must.

As to age, the monarch's head facing left could mean one of two things....

Victorian period - 1837 until the monarch's head was no longer used (except on special occasions) in 1890.

Or it could mean the incuse mark for George III used only Dec 1784 - July 1785.....very valuable pieces indeed, but after English ships had been to Australia, famous for kangaroos.

These monarch's heads were proof that the English duty tax on silver had been paid by the silversmith or his sponsor.

Is the monarch's head a man in an rectangle with canted corners or a woman's head.

Of course, as you know by now, the style of the date letter is important as well. The earlier the piece, the more valuable it is.

The style of sponsor (maker) initials are important to know as well as the initials. Some sponsors are more collectible than others so knowing this can change value.

In cases like this, it is impossible to give you date, sponsor or value without photos of the marks.

I would to like to give a complete answer to your question including these facts.

If you are having trouble sending photos, you can send via email.

This is the official explanation of how to send photos via email:

Please follow the directions exactly or they will not get to me.

Send the picture to ***@******.***

In the subject line put " Pictures for˜Doris in Antiques or Appraisals."
.
In the body of the message put, your user name and name.
.
Make sure to send these from the same address that you registered with

Just Answer, so they can verify who you are.

This method takes longer because the photos are sent to the Just Answer

techs who must forward them to me. It sometimes takes as long as 24 hours.
.
They will forward them to me and as soon as I get them I will contact you.

Kind regards,

Doris

I look forward to your replies.