Glenda B. Appraiser
Glenda B. Appraiser, Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience buying and selling antiques as a collector and 14+ yrs. as antique store owner. Member of Association of Online Appraisers and AADA.
53729464

Ive what I believe to be a very rare sewing machine... on

Customer Question

hi ive what I believe to be a very rare Davis sewing machine... on the American national sewing machine website its I believe to be the most desired can you help
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. Appraiser replied 6 months ago.

Are you wanting a value for this? If so can you send a picture of this??

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
id like to know if its as I believe to be quiet unique and yes id also like to know off a value please would you need the serial number ? as I mentioned I can forward the link to the American nation sewing machine website and once you've opted for the Davis Sewing machine option the only picture they have is the same as mine but I believe mine is in finer condition
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
how can I send a picture please

Hello, my name is Glenda
.

It is very important to be able to see what the customer has in order to give a correct informed value!
.
Here are instructions for sending images several ways, you can choose which one best fits you , be sure it is uploaded to your computer,
.

If you do not see the blue button that states attach file at the bottom of your page here are instructions to upload images !
.
Click the link: for instructions on uploading images
.
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
.
Or you may use this method:
.
Go to www.imgur.com
.
click on Computer
.
Select the picture file from the box that pops up.
.
Hit open.
.
Click on Start Upload
.
And then copy the link they give you (it will look similar to this http://www.imgur.com/xxxx) and paste it here.
.
Or:Send them like this: In an Email! This can take awhile depending on how busy they are at Just answer, they do forward them to me.
.
Send the picture to ,***@******.***, in the subject line put " Pictures for Glenda B in Antiques".
.
In the body of the message put , your user name and name.
.
Make sure to send these from the same address that you registered with just answer with , so they know who you are. If you send from a phone the email address on the phone you use has to match the email address you used to register on the justanswer site with.
.
Sometimes it can take over 24hrs, depending on how busy the site is. We the appraisers are not employees of the Just Answer site, we come to the site to answer questions, we do not work there. They get photos in from customers, they then send them to the correct departments ( categories, ) then they are forwarded to the appraisers. I have no control over how fast all of this happens. I will let you know as soon as they send them to me.
.
Glenda

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ive added 2 images, ill take a few more nowthe serial number is ***** 27219
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
you can locate the sewing machine through this web site....sewmuse.co.uk
click on American made sewing machineclick on Davis sewing machine and there it is

Thank you, ***** ***** very familiar with the Davis Sewing Machine, I have bought and sold several of these over the years. I have also appraised several. I will look this up in my Sewing Machine Price Guides, be back as soon as I have the value for you.

Glenda

what is your case like?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
thankyou for taking the time to help me a little Glenda im must admit is been fascinating spending time reading up on it but im glad I can now get some who knows what there doing to stop my head spinning lol
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ill send a pic its like a mini coffin
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
sorry to be a pain as the kids are asking for there steaks lol before britains got talent final how long do you think it will take for you to give me any feed back anything really not particularly value maybe some interesting history

Sorry this took awhile my husband called and I had to go pick him up at he hospital..

This is your answer, please rate this after reading the answer. You do so clicking one of the top stars or smiley faces ( on phones possibly )!

Here is a wonderful site for the complete History of the Davis Machine, I thought you might like reading this: http://ismacs.net/davis/history_repeats_itself_story_of_the_davis_sewing_machine_company.html
.
The Antique Davis Machine with the Coffin style case, has an estimated value on the current market for an average of $250.00-350.00 (170.940 GBP -239.316 GBP ) depending on the condition and where it is for sale at. These will typically sell higher in an Antique Shop or Private sale compared to an auction. If you are thinking of selling, you might want to check your local Antique Shops in the area to see what yours or one like it would sell for or has sold for, then you can decide to sell online or locally.
.
Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained. If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from.
.
You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is also Rubylane, which is a more upscale site where people sell more expensive items. There is also Tias and GoAntiques, which is on the same scale of Rubylane. There is Amazon Market Place, ArtFire and of course Ebay. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great! If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
.
If you have more items you would like to ask me about, just start a new question addressed to "Glenda" it would be my pleasure to help you.
.
Rating of the answer is for my professionalism in my communications with you.
.
It is not based on the value of an item, which appraisers have no control over, or any site issues ( technical or otherwise) that may occur while using the site.

.
As appraisers we do not work for the Just Answer Site. After being verified we are allowed to come to the site to answer customer's questions
.
The only way we are compensated for our time, is by the rating you give. Clicking one of the stars or smiley faces is very much appreciated. If you find you have a problem being able to rate me, please let me know.
.

It was a pleasure working for you,
:) ( smiles )
.
Glenda

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
when I researched I was made to believe the golden eagle hand painted with the American flag was a very unique piece which made this machine our family was handed down interesting in way I thought would give it a higher value.. Am I to believe the type off machine I have is not rare with the hand painted flag and golden eagle

It is not rare. Not found often but not a rare piece. I am sorry it does not bring more on the current market. All sewing machines are not valued as high today as they were just a year ago. No one is purchasing them these days, which this keeps the market value low. Also those who are selling theirs are selling them at Rock Bottom prices which also keeps the market values very low.

We see these machines in a lot of Antique Shops and Flea Markets, and also on sites such as Ebay. People inherit their families machines and sell them off pretty low priced.

.

As vast as the internet is it does not have 1/3 of the items on it that are in books, and what can be found in shops locally. It takes someone taking the time to put that information on the internet, and the cost to run a website out keeps this from happening.

.

.
.

.
.
.

It was a pleasure working for you,
:) ( smiles )
.
Glenda