Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years.Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

What is 'Trotting ' oil painting by Towne worth. purposes

What is 'Trotting Tom' oil painting by Charles Towne worth. For probate purposes
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls.
I give my best answers in writing when I have time to think about them.
Sometimes a "Chat box" will pop-up asking if you would like a live conversation. Please know it is not from me.

If another professional enters our exchanges, feel free to tell them that you are working with me if you wish.

Can you send a photo of the painting as well as a clear, close-up photo of the signature?

There are at least two artists with the name Charles Towne.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the signature.

To send photos you may use the "attach file" or "add file" in the blue box link on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

Let me know if you have trouble with the photos.

Kind regards,

Doris

Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

Can you tell me if the signature looks like the following image?

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not able to send a photo immediately. I will later this weekend.
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

There is no hurry on my part.

Kind regards,

Doris

Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

For probate purposes, the claimed value of an original Charles Towne (1763-1840) painting, presumably in the approximate size range of 16" - 30" (40 -60cm) entitled Trotting Tom, which likely has a horse in it, is $3000 (2067GPB) based on actual average auction sale prices of his paintings on today's market.

Bear in mind that an ‘asking price’ is one that has not been sold and a true sale value is an actual past documented sale record. Feel free to send images at anytime here, there is not an additional charge for adding pictures.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply. Sorry for the delay but I will just send these pictures anyway in case it may affect your answer.
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

You may have already seen this, but just in case you have not, I will include the information here.

Charles Towne

"Charles Towne (1763–1840) was an English painter of landscapes, horses and other animals, horse-racing and hunting scenes.

Not to be confused with the painter Charles Towne (1781–1854), "the younger".

Towne was born in Wigan, the son of Richard Town, a portrait-painter from Liverpool, and his wife Mary. His talent for art was apparent from a young age and he received some training from landscape painter John Rathbone in Leeds. He then worked as a coach and ornamental painter with his brother in Liverpool, and also worked for a time in Lancaster and Manchester. In 1785 he married ***** *****on, a widow.

In 1787 Towne exhibited a small landscape in an exhibition in Liverpool. By the 1790s he was an established animal painter with a style reminiscent of Stubbs. He lived in London from 1799 to 1804 during which time he exhibited at the Royal Academy. He also added a final 'e' to his name. He became a friend of fellow artists George Morland and De Loutherbourg.

Between 1799 and 1823 he exhibited twelve works at the Royal Academy and four at the British Institution. He returned to Liverpool in 1810, and was a founder member of the Liverpool Academy, becoming vice-president in 1812-13, and exhibiting his work there for several years on and off. He resided in Liverpool until 1837, when he apparently returned to London, dying there in 1840.

Towne painted landscapes and animals, and obtained great celebrity in Lancashire and Cheshire by his portraits of horses, dogs, and cattle. Many of his pictures were small, but occasionally he ventured into landscapes with cattle of larger size. He also painted in watercolour, and was a candidate for admission to the Watercolour Society in 1809. His work was reasonably well regarded by his contemporary Joseph Farrington, though he also noted that Towne was a man of "coarse, debased manners and conversation". According to artist W. S. Sparrow, "his landscapes are minutely detailed and have a Dutch mannerism; animals and figures are put in with diligent and affectionate care". However the Dictionary of National Biography commented that his work "though carefully drawn" was "wanting in spirit and originality".

He painted "Old Billy", the longest-living horse on record, who pulled barges on the canals."

Source:
wikipedia.org

When assessing an artist's work, appraisers must look at completed sales of works by the same artist. Art gallery sales prices are private.
We must then go to auction sales prices which are public. When using comparable work by the same artist, medium, subject matter and size are factors to be considered.
Appraisers most often use price per square inch of previously sold comparable works by the same artist as a measure of value.

Some auction results for recent sales of Charles Towne paintings.

$7,737

$22,575

$6,250

I took in consideration the size of these paintings, to find the average auction price per square inch for Charles Towne paintings.

The average price per square inch is $20.67

Taking that number and applying it to the Charles Towne painting most like yours,

the average auction value would be $4,451

Thus, your painting would have an auction value of $4,451. (GBP3089)

Suggested auction houses:

http://www.christies.com/selling-services/

http://www.sothebys.com

http://www.bonhams.com/how_to_sell/?gclid=CjwKEAjwm-aqBRD39YPqhbzthzYSJACFj-At56r9Dj6LPvR4HSje0Pv8FwM4UTWDECFfQCFY2EKxChoCc8fw_wcB

http://www.lesliehindman.com/auctions/selling/

http://www.skinnerinc.com/selling/

Auction vales are most often used for probate purposes.

A private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of retail value.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" at the first of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.

For me to be the professional to get your positive rating on my answer, you may need to contact customer support at***@******.***.

Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years.Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so much for the positive rating. If you have questions in the future, please request me by typing “For Doris only” at the first of the question. Most of the other professionals on the site will honor that request.

Thank you again.