Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I have a matching pair of horn goblets or drinking mugs,

I have a matching pair of horn goblets or drinking mugs, base and top banded with silver and decorated with a monogrammed silver shield, the monogram being 3 ornate script letters. The items are about 10 cm high, base about 6cm diameter and top about 8cm diameter. The silver ring at the top is 2cm deep and folded over the top of the horn.
The hallmark on the top band is very worn. It appears to be (left to right) 4 stamps;
Kings head (could be George III duty stamp?); lion in rectangular frame (quality?); the letter O in relief (date letter?), and a shield shaped (or even heart shaped) outline stamp but any mark inside the outline is worn away.
So I can't recognize a city stamp r maker's mark.
They have been in my family at least 3 generations so since somewhere around 1920
Any ideas?
Thanks and regards
Alan Hillary
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I would love to help. It would be irresponsible to answer without seeing the chalices and their marks to assess correctly.
Please use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures of the item and any marks, labels or writing (does not cost anything extra).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Give me time please, to take good photos. As I said, the silver is quite worn and very difficult to see the marks, which are tiny, about 2mmx2mm each
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here you are. You can make out the 4 character stamp, that I have assumed is a hallmark, in both photos.
The mark is the same on both items.
The base material appears to be deer horn.
Alan
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.

Alan,

This is a set of London England sterling silver and stag horn campaign beakers with monogram shield.

These were popular items in the mid to late 1800's.

The shape around the letter O that you described (and I am unable to see)

and the type style of that O will be the date code. I am adding three images of the possible date years and you can determine

the exact year of your set by comparing the images and outer shapes for the letter O.

The maker's mark seems to be too worn to determine in this case.

The value of these will be the same in any date from the 1800's.

Each cup has a current value of $700 to 900USD or 480 to 620GBP.

Here are some examples of similar for you to view by clicking here.

It is important for you to click the stars after you have read this answer.

Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.

Here are the date codes.

Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.

Date code 2

Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.

Date code 3