Glenda B. Appraiser
Glenda B. Appraiser, Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience buying and selling antiques as a collector and 14+ yrs. as antique store owner. Member of Association of Online Appraisers and AADA.
53729464

I have a majolica comport supported by rabbits which is

Customer Question

I have a majolica comport supported by rabbits which is similar to Minton, however it doesn't have a minton mark just the numbers 1770. I wonder if you can identify the maker please
Best wishes
Sue
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. Appraiser replied 7 months ago.

Hello my name is Glenda,
.
I have been in the antique business for over 45 years, appraising, antique shop owner, buying and selling on today's current market. Buying and selling everything from elegant glassware to the most primitive of items and so much more to include books. I will do all I can to find out the most information on your item and the value for you. I have access to many data bases, and extensive current library of price guides, as well as access to leaders in the field of antiques and personal property. If another expert should happen to get on your question after my response to you, it is your right to let them know you are working with me. If you wish to continue working with me .

.

It is likely the piece was produced by the early St. Clement or the French majolica firm, Sarreguemines. A lot of their work was not marked and each company copied from each other. Is your compote the Minton style rabbit with the lettuce leaves?

Glenda

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Glenda - many thanks - yes it is
Sue

.
This is your answer, please rate this after reading the answer. You do so clicking one of the top stars or smiley faces ( on phones possibly )!
.
The Majolica Rabbit Compote, circa: 1800 to very early 1900 possibly by St. Clement or the French majolica firm, Sarreguemines, has an estimated value on the current market for an average of $3***-**-****.00, depending on the condition and where it is for sale at. These will typically sell higher in an Antique Shop or Private sale compared to an auction. If you are thinking of selling, you might want to check your local Antique Shops in the area to see what yours or one like it would sell for or has sold for, then you can decide to sell online or locally.
.
Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained. If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from.
.
You can sell on Rubylane, which is a more upscale site where people sell more expensive items. There is also Tias and GoAntiques, which is on the same scale of Rubylane. There is Amazon Market Place, ArtFire and of course Ebay. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great! If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
.
Rating of the answer is for my professionalism in my communications with you.
.
It is not based on the value of an item, which appraisers have no control over, or any site issues ( technical or otherwise) that may occur while using the site.

.
As appraisers we do not work for the Just Answer Site. After being verified we are allowed to come to the site to answer customer's questions
.
The only way we are compensated for our time, is by the rating you give. Clicking one of the stars or smiley faces is very much appreciated. If you find you have a problem being able to rate me, please let me know.
.

It was a pleasure working for you. If you have more items you would like to ask me about, just start a new question addressed to "Glenda" it would be my pleasure to help you.
:) ( smiles )
.
Glenda

Glenda B. Appraiser, Antiques Appraiser
Experience: 40+ yrs. experience buying and selling antiques as a collector and 14+ yrs. as antique store owner. Member of Association of Online Appraisers and AADA.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Glenda,
I was just recording the estimates you have given me and noticed this one. Was the estimate of Sarreguemines at £3,800 a typo?

Sue

The Antique Majolica Rabbit Compote, circa: 1800 has an estimate of 3800.00 to 4500.00 in US Dollars.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
If thats the case and I sell it I'll definitely give you a good tip Glenda

Thanks, ***** ***** is not expected by me.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Glenda,
I'm afraid my bubble has just burst on this one. Sent info to John Sandon at Bonhams with a view to auction but he has told me that it is worth very little. Won't be retiring for a while yet. Hope all good with you. Best wishes Sue.

Did he say because it was a reproduction ? And not the original Minton one ?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Glenda,
This is what he wrote
A Majolica rabbit comport. This is a copy of a Minton model and we suspect it may be a reproduction. We need to see it to confirm this, but even if it is 19th century, its value will be small. Sue

But you know this is an antique right? Not a 20thC reproduction?

Do you have anything from when you bought it?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Glenda,
I'm not sure but I will certainly look. Don't worry anymore over this. I'm sure that amongst my stash of 300 things there must be at least one that has a good value. I'll keep on trying to find it. I appreciate your help immensely. Sue

Sue

I think if this is older then the 20thC then it is worth more then he thinks. I know there are many reproductions out there but none I am aware of from before the 20thC.