Judith-on-Antiques
Judith-on-Antiques, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  A noted expert, author, TV personality, appraiser and columnist. President of the Association of Online Appraiser
57035021

I wonder f you could very kindly appraise what I believe to

Hi,I wonder f you could very kindly appraise what I believe to be a Meissen inkwell please
Best wishes
Sue
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I forgot to mention that as well as the crossed swrords it has 14 handpainted on base. Also incised 'B38' on both pieces.
Expert:  Judith-on-Antiques replied 1 year ago.

Hi Sue,

My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help.

Please add a picture that shows the inside of this item, with the cover off, and a picture of the marks on the bottom.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Judith
Many thanks for your help with this. I've attached all the pics taken before it was stowed in the attic. I am happy to get it back down if these aren't suitable
Sue

Thanks for the additional pictures, Sue. But, I asked for one that shows the inside of the inkwell, and you gave me one that shows the inside of the cover. Can you add the picture I need, please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry Judith
I thought I'd added it. Is this one OK?
Best wishes
Sue

Excellent - thanks!

Your inkwell is, indeed, Meissen, and was made in the late 19th century.

It is missing the glass insert that holds the ink, although it could be used by inserting an ink bottle in the middle, if you could find one that fits.

If your inkwell is in perfect condition, its current retail (replacement or insurance) value is approximately GBP140. If you were to sell it, you could expect to get the fair market (private sale or auction) value of 40% of the retail amount or GBP56, depending on location and actual condition.

I hope this answer has been helpful to you, Sue.

If you have any further questions or problems concerning this answer, please let me know.

If you would like to work with me on further questions you might have, it would be a pleasure to work with you again. All you have to do is put my name (Judith) at the beginning of your question.

I need your positive rating! Could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer, at no extra cost to you. We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do.

Thank you so much!

Thanks for your positive rating, Sue!