Judith-on-Antiques
Judith-on-Antiques, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  A noted expert, author, TV personality, appraiser and columnist. President of the Association of Online Appraiser
57035021

Judith I should be most grateful if you could look at this

Hi Judith
I should be most grateful if you could look at this item for me. It was sold to me as very old creamware pot. It is as light as a feather.Measures: approx. 5 cm high and 9.5cm across.
Condition: Apparently there has been some restoration to a section of the painting at sometime, it is extremely well done and is not detectable. No makers mark Best wishes Sue
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Judith-on-Antiques replied 1 year ago.

Hi Sue,

This is a lovely piece! When you hold it up to the light and hold your hand behind it, can you see the shadow of your hand through the pot?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Judith
It is incredibly fine but I can't see my hand through it Sue

Okay - so we can rule out eggshell porcelain.

The piece is creamware or some similar earthenware. It appears to be in great condition, too. The only detriment I see are the repair and the inability to identify the maker.

It is apparently English, and dates to circa 1830 - 1850.

If your pot and cover are in perfect condition, the current retail (replacement or insurance) value of this item is approximately GBP300. If you were to sell it, you could expect to get the fair market (private sale or auction) value of approximately 40$ of the retail amount, or GBP120, depending on location and actual condition.

I hope this answer has been helpful to you, Sue.

If you have any further questions or problems concerning this answer, please let me know.

If you would like to work with me on further questions you might have, it would be a pleasure to work with you again. All you have to do is put my name (Judith) at the beginning of your question.

I need your positive rating! Could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer, at no extra cost to you. We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do.

Thank you so much!

Best regards,

Judith

Thanks for your positive rating, Sue!