Judith-on-Antiques
Judith-on-Antiques, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  A noted expert, author, TV personality, appraiser and columnist. President of the Association of Online Appraiser
57035021

Judith Thank you help with the pot. Ive been stashing

Hi Judith
Thank you for your help with the pot. Ive been stashing antiques away for a few years now and need to get them sold off so that hopefully I can retire. Not doing great so far. I wonder if you could look at these two plates for me. They were sold to me as Swansea (?) very beautiful and very white.They are unmarked but the seller tied the molded edge down from the swansea book but couldn't find the exact design. Kind wishes Sue
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Judith-on-Antiques replied 1 year ago.

Hi Sue,

There are several companies - *****, *****al Swansea, Grimley - who make patterns similar to yours. They all feature the textured border and the roses in the center and on the verge.

I agree that your plates are from the mid-19th century. The lack of a maker's mark will be detrimental to their value.

If they are in perfect condition, their current retail (replacement or insurance) value is approximately GBP150 for the pair.If you were to sell them, you could expect to get the fir market (private sale or auction) value of approximately 40% of the retail amount, or GBP60, depending on location and actual condition.

I hope this helps you, Sue, and that it brings you closer to retirement.

If you have any further questions or problems concerning this answer, please let me know.

If you would like to work with me on further questions you might have, it would be a pleasure to work with you again. All you have to do is put my name (Judith) at the beginning of your question.

I need your positive rating! Could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer, at no extra cost to you. We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do.

Thank you so much!

Thanks for your positive rating, Sue!