Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years.Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

I have an old set of dinner ware. There are 12 each of 8.5,

Customer Question

I have an old set of dinner ware. There are 12 each of 8.5, 9 and 9.5 inch plates as well as large turkey plates, serving bowls etc. There is no makers mark on it but it has the number Rd No 202562 on the back of each plate / bowl. How can I find out how old this is. What is the approx value and what is the best way forward if I wanted to sell.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls.
I give my best answers in writing when I have time to think about them.
Sometimes a "Chat box" will pop-up asking if you would like a live conversation. Please know it is not from me.

If another professional enters our exchanges, feel free to tell them that you are working with me if you wish.

Please send a photo of your pattern or a good description of the pattern.

To send photos you may use the "attach file" or "add file" in the blue box link on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

I can tell you the age and suggest selling venues but I need to know more about the pattern to give you accurate value.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Doris,Can you please send my your e-mail address and I will end the photos directly from my phone.Regards,Harry
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

Harry,

The email method takes longer but here is the procedure.

This is the official explanation of how to send photos via email:

Please follow the directions exactly or they will not get to me.

Send the picture to ***@******.***

In the subject line put " Pictures for˜Doris in Antiques or Appraisals."
.
In the body of the message put, your user name and name.
.
Make sure to send these from the same address that you registered with

Just Answer, so they can verify who you are.

This method takes longer because the photos are sent to the Just Answer

techs who must forward them to me. It sometimes takes as long as 24 hours.
.
They will forward them to me and as soon as I get them I will contact you.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Try this
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

Yes. Thank you.

Give me a few minutes.

Doris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Doris,Please excuse my lack of HiTec experience.Is this a better picture
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

The RD 292562 dates the first time your pattern was registered in 1892.

Using the items I see in your photos, I was able to determine an estimated retail value of $1050-1150 for your set of china.

As for where to sell.....If you want to sell quickly at wholesale prices, try one of these sites.
I do not know where you live so I will make suggestions for three countries.

In US:
ChinaLane.com
ChinaFinders.com
ChinaReplacements.com

In UK:
ChinaSearch.co.uk
MatchingChina.co.uk
ChinaMatchers.co.uk
ReplaceYourPlates.co.uk

Australia: http://www.allthegalleries.com/dealers/porcelain.html

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices.

If you would like to sell close to retail , some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Etsy.com - small fees - 20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com
Bonanza.com
Amazon Marketplace: http://services.amazon.com/content/sell-on-amazon.htm/ref=footer_soa?ld=AZFSSOA

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.
GoAntiques.com
Rubylane.com
Tias.com
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com

How to pack and send china:

China is best packed with 2 paper plates between the plates, platters and saucers. Then wrap a few plates together with several layers of bubble wrap. Tape the loose ends of the bubble wrap together.
For cups and bowls, wrap separately with a couple of layers of bubble wrap.

Put a several inch layer of crunched newspaper in the bottom of each packing box.

Arrange the heavier items on the newspaper first. Then add the cups and small bowls on top of the heavier pieces.

In a second box, crunched newspaper, stacked plates face up, not on edges followed by lighter items.

Before putting the newspaper in the bottoms, reinforce the bottom and sides of a strong corrugated box with cut corrugated sheets (cut from another box). Then start with the crunched newsprint.

After filling each box up to about 5 inches from the top, put several inches of crunched newsprint on the top of the stacked china.

Firmly tape the box closed with several layers of tape.

Write two things on all the sides of the boxes - "Fragile" and "Top" with arrows pointing to the top.

On the top, write "This side up."

For expensive items, the Postal service will allow one to purchase higher insurance.

If possible, ship two-day service. This eliminates long trips with boxes transferred from tru

A private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of retail value.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" at the first of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the info Doris.Can you please tell me when they stopped producing that pattern, or likely to have stopped. This will allow me to put a minimum age on this set.
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

Patterns like this were usually made for about 20-25 years.

By 1921, for export to USA, the set would have had to have the words "Made in England."

Best,

Doris

Positive, please.

Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so much for the positive rating and bonus! If you have questions in the future, please request me by typing “For Doris only” at the first of the question. Most of the other professionals on the site will honor that request.

Thank you again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi again Doris,You obviously just saw the rating. I thought you were worth the 5 starts and thanks for the info. I left a small too BTW so I hope you get it eventually. I'm from Cork on the south coast of Ireland.Regards ***** *****Harry
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

Again, Harry, Thank you so much - Tennessee.