Glenda B. Appraiser
Glenda B. Appraiser, Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience buying and selling antiques as a collector and 14+ yrs. as antique store owner. Member of Association of Online Appraisers and AADA.
53729464

I wonder if you could very kindly appraise this Anti Corn

I wonder if you could very kindly appraise this Anti Corn Law child's plate for me please. It measures approx 17 cm wide and is in good condition. Many thanks, Sue
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. Appraiser replied 1 year ago.

Hi Sue

This Plate would date to approximately 1840. The retail ( Book Value , Insurance replacement ) of $55.00-100.00. The price they would sell for in an Antique shop, or high end Antique Website would be -$75.00-115.00 and higher depending where it is located. Auction values on places such as Ebay on today's market they are only bringing an average of $20.00 to 75.00, Possibly as much as 125.00, depending on who bids on it. Here is a link to show you what this plate is being listed for:/http://martynedgell.com/index.php/product/childs-plate-with-anti-corn-laws-sentiment-circa-1840/ You can see they are asking $71.00.
You can see it is not for sell for what it is actually worth, they do not seem to be selling well at this time. That does not mean you cannot ask whatever you would like for this, there is no set rule that says you have to sell for auction price or even the retail value. Items are sold all the time for much more then they are worth and sadly at times for much less then they are worth. If it were mine and I was selling it, I would list this for $100.00-110.00, and see how it does. If it did not sell then I would hang onto it for a bit and try again. Selling always depends on the right person coming along and wanting what you have.

.

As appraisers we do not work for the Just Answer Site. We are independent appraisers who are verified to answer questions for the Just Answer site.
.
The only way we are compensated for our time, is by the rating you give. You must click one of the stars
( or rate expert ) in order for us to be compensated for answering your question. If you find you have a problem being able to rate me, please let me know.

.

It was a pleasure working for you. If you have more items you would like to ask me about, just start a new question addressed to "Glenda" it would be my pleasure to help you.
:) ( smiles )

.
Please keep in mind if another expert answers behind me and you are happy with my answer, please make sure to click the rating for me! It may appear confusing since their answer would come in to your email after mine does.
.
Glenda

Hi, I'm just checking in once again to see how things are going.

Let me know if you still need help with this question.

I will be happy to help with any further question you might have on this.

I strive to answer any and all questions a customer might have in order for you to have a enjoyable experience with me as an appraiser.
.
Thank you so much!
Glenda