Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years.Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

I should be very grateful if you could appraise this

I should be very grateful if you could appraise this Georgian silver and shell box. This was the info I was given when I bought it 9 years ago
"Wooden box with shell casing and hallmarked silver decorative corners.
Measures approx 6" x 3" x 1"
Bowed lid with an oval silver mount in the middle (which probably once housed a miniature).
Chester hallmarks with maker's initials CS & FS
The box has a velvet lined hinged lid, and two compartments.
There has been a repair around one of the hinges, and a small piece of shell is missing from the underside lip of the lid.
Otherwise good condition.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls.
I give my best answers in writing when I have time to think about them.
Sometimes a "Chat box" will pop-up asking if you would like a live conversation. Please know it is not from me.

The sponsors (makers) were Cornelius Saunders & Frank Shepard. Their Chester mark was first registered in 1887.

Your box is made of tortoiseshell. This material is on the "Endangerd Species" list. Since it is over 100 years old, it may not be subject to the international ban on tortoiseshell.

You will need to contact the appropriate authorities if you live in the UK before you can sell.

If you live in the US, the authorities are associated with the US Fish and Wildlife agency.

I used to sell tortoiseshell boxes in my store several years ago but the pieces were over 100 years old. The laws have become more strict since then. I had to have a license to sell it.

If your box is not subject to the international ban, is estimated retail value would be an extraordinary $700-900 assuming only minor flaws and depending on location.

There are still many collectors who still buy tortoiseshell.

A private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of estimated retail value.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" at the first of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.

If another professional enters our exchanges, please feel free to tell them you are working with me, if you wish.

Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so much for the positive rating. If you have questions in the future, please request me by typing “For Doris only” at the first of the question. Most of the other professionals on the site will honor that request.

Thank you again.