Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years.Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

Wow Doris, How knowledgabke you are. Many thanks very

Wow Doris,
How knowledgabke you are. Many thanks for that very comprehensive appraisal. As soon as I start selling my stuff I will be leaving tips. I wonder if you could look at this for me as well. THis is the info I was given when I bought it -
An excellent and rare Hukin & Heath pickle jar stand. Attributed to Christopher Dresser.In Excellent condition with only minor blemishes to silver plating (see photographs)
The stand looks larger than the dimensions suggest and measures approx 22cm long approx 9.5 cm in width and some 15cm in height.Large H & H and Eagle Mark and numbered 708 to base (retaining wing nut appears to be replacement)The two glass pickle jars are of very high quality having the base and four sides ground and polished flat there are a few small chips but not particularly noticible and quite small. The jars are approx 15cm high.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

Welcome back. Thank you for requesting me.

The small pair you have often called condiment pieces.

Why do you think there is an association with the famous Dresser?

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Doris,
I was told by the seller that he acquired it from a Dresser collection. I have seen similar items and I know that he did design items for Hukin & Heath. The seller quoted the stamps as Large H & H and Eagle Mark and numbered 708 to base, although to an amateur like me this means nothing. I gather that you are not convinced? and will certainly value your opinion. Kind wishes Sue
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

Yes indeed.

Hukin & Heath produced plated and sterling under direction of Christopher Dresser 1878-1881.

These same designs were made by Hukin & Heath for some while after 1881.

The date range of your set is then 1871-1890s. It is plated silver.

My research and knowledge indicate that your set would have a estimated retail value of $65-85 again assuming good condition and depending on location of sale.

Again,

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Etsy.com - small fees - 20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com
Bonanza.com
Amazon Marketplace: http://services.amazon.com/content/sell-on-amazon.htm/ref=footer_soa?ld=AZFSSOA

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.
GoAntiques.com
Rubylane.com
Tias.com
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com

Once again,

A private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of estimated retail value.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" at the first of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.

If another professional enters our exchanges, please feel free to tell them you are working with me, if you wish.

Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so much for the positive rating. If you have questions in the future, please request me by typing “For Doris only” at the first of the question. Most of the other professionals on the site will honor that request.

Thank you again