Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I wonder could you please look at this plate The seller told

Customer Question

Hi, I wonder could you please look at this plate The seller told me the following, but I'm not altogether sure that this is Meissen ? "A lovely 19th century porcelain plate produced by the renowned Meissen factory. The plate is decorated with a finely hand painted central scene depicting two colourful birds. There are three further birds painted around the border. The plate has a reticulated border.
Marks and Backstamps
Meissen Cross Swords mark underglaze blue, along with impressed numbers 25 21 65, there is a cancelation to mark.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.

This plate is authentic Meissen and dates to 1763 to 1774.

They made a series of reticulated edge hand painted bird plates during this period.

This plate has a current value of 500 to 600GBP.

It is important for you to click the stars after you have read this answer so that we can work together again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sadly it would appear that Bonhams disagree with you. I thought I'd offer it for auction and this was their reply
Dear Mrs Lewis,
Thank you for your email enquiry regarding the Meissen reticulated plate. As far as I can see from the photographs, it likely dates from the 19th century. It has an incised cancellation line through the mark, which indicates the presence of one or more firing faults. Such pieces were sometimes decorated outside the manufactory, and I think that is a possibility with this plate.In any case, though it is a decorative and charming plate, the value at auction is quite low (I would think less than £50) so it would not be something that we could offer for you at auction