Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I should be most grateful appraisal on this unusual cup and

I should be most grateful for an appraisal on this unusual cup and saucer please. This is what I was told when I bought it ( it was quite expensive) " A scarce moulded late georgian pearlware teacup and saucer, the cup is a porringer shape with a rare bamboo applied handle, several cups can be seen in berthouds cup books, ref page 28, made by an uknown factory, charming piece which has survived very well, good condition for age. It measures Cup 77mm dia., 49mm h., Saucer 132mm dia., 32mm h. Many thanks, Sue
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.

This is a Salopian cup and saucer that date to 1815 in the Fallow Deer pattern. Collectors refer to the Pratt style coloring of this set as Salopian pearlware based on vague similarities to the printed porcelain wares highlighted with polychrome colors that was produced by Caughley and impressed `Salopian' in the late 1700s, so know this is a term and not a maker. ***** ***** and Son (c1814 to 1836; Godden 1964: page 548) printed an early version of the Fallow Deer pattern in the 1814 to 1825 period (Coysh and Henrywood's Dictionary of Blue and White Printed Pottery 1780-1880 (Volume I edition 1993A: 133), but it is unknown exactly which maker created this exact pattern.

The current value is 135GBP to 175GBP.

It is important for you to click the stars after you have read this answer.