Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years.Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

I have a Doulton figurine in Pink. This was a wedding

Hi Pearl.
I have a Doulton figurine Marie in Pink. This was a wedding present of my mothers in 1938. I have only seen Marie in Blue, is the Pink version rare, and do you know how many were made in Pink?
JA: Thank you. Can you provide any more details to help us find you the right Expert?
Customer: What kind of details would you like? it is a Doulton Figurine, named Marie, and has a Pink coloured dress. All the ones I have ever seen have a Blue coloured dress
JA: Brilliant. Thank you. I'll now take you to a secure page to place your deposit with JustAnswer. Once the deposit is received, we'll continue helping you with your question.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls.
I give my best answers in writing when I have time to think about them.
Sometimes a "Chat box" will pop-up asking if you would like a live conversation. Please know it is not from me.

I researched your question before I decided to answer.

There have been many versions of Marie produced by Royal Doulton.

Does yours look like the following image?

Is yours 4 7/8" tall?

If not please send a photo of yours along with the height.

To send photos you may use the "attach file" or "add file" in the blue box link on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

Kind regards,

Doris

If another professional enters our exchanges, please feel free to tell them you are working with me, if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
mine looks exactly like the image you sent, and is the same height.
How many of these were manufactured, as I have never seen one for sale, the Blue version is very common, but the Pink appears to be much rarer.
Thanks for your help. Even though I do not wish to sell it, as it is a family heirloom, a wedding present to my mother in 1938.
It would be nice to know if it had any value.
Thanks,
David
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

There is no record of how many of this particular pink version of the Royal Doulton Marie were produced although it is described as "rare" in the auction listings I found.

It was designed by Leslie Harradine.

See the following:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leslie_Harradine

Your pink Marie was only produced from 1930-1949.

Its Royal Doulton figurine number is ***** (L?).

Its blue counterpart is HN1370 and, as you observed, much more common.

At auction, I found that your pink Marie has sold for as much as $114.

The estimated retail price probably would be $230-280 assuming good condition

and depending on sale location.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 10% more than retail values.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" at the first of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.

If another professional enters our exchanges after my answer here, please feel free to tell them you are working with me, if you wish.

Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?

Kind regards,
Doris

Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so much for the positive rating. If you have questions in the future, please request me by typing “For Doris only” at the first of the question. Most professionals on the site will honor that request.

Thank you again.