Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I have two paintings of street scenes which are signed

Customer Question

I have two paintings of street scenes which are signed BARTON,in red in bottom right hand corner
The paintings are both about 30 inches by 18 inches.
How can I get these valued please and sold
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.

My name isCustomerand I would love to help. The next step would be for me to see pictures of the painting,
signature and any labels on the back.
Use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures one at a time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have now measured the paintings -- they are both 67 cm x 57 cm (edge of frame to edge of frame)
4 photos attached.
Peter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning,
I have just replied with 4 photos
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.

Peter,

These are paintings by Rose Maynard Barton (1856 to 1929), a UK and Ireland artist,

known for city scape and marine-themed paintings in the ethereal impressionist style.

These paintings have a value of about 4,000 British pounds each.

It would be best to contact Christie's or Sotheby's and consign to them.

You could also go to invaluable.com and use their directory to find an auction house near you that deals in fine art.

It is important for you to click the stars after you have read this answer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
DearCustomer
I'm not questioning your expertise, just thanking you, but, if these paintings are worth that sort of money, it is the answer to our prayers. My wife and I have to relocate to N.Ireland as my mother is quite unwell. We are doing so 'on a wing and a prayer' as we have little money and, as you can imagine , this will greatly help our family.
Peter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
DearCustomer
So sorry to be a pain but, I'm kind of lost.
Are you able to assist in the sale for me, on a commission basis, or is that against the 'rules'?
Peter
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.

Dear *****,

I apologize, but that is not allowed here. I am only allowed to answer questions.

-rarewares

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
DearCustomer
I have just had the answer back from Christies -- as below:-
Re: AE258192XDear Mr Surgenor:Thank you for contacting Christie's regarding the possible sale of your property. Our specialists have carefully reviewed the information you kindly sent to us and have requested that I share with you their response. Unfortunately, based on the information provided, your property does not appear to fall into a property category or value level that Christie's currently handles for sale. For that reason, our specialists are not able to suggest an estimate or provide other information.We recognize that this may be disappointing news, and although we cannot be of assistance at this time, we hope that we may be of service to you in the future.Sincerely,
Patrick Conte
Head of Client Service
Christie's Client Service Center
New York: +1(###) ###-####London: +44 (0) 20 7389 2886
email:***@******.***
It appears that perhaps they are not in agreement with your valuation --- could you please advise
Peter
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.

You can go to liveauctioneers.com or invaluable.com and find an auction house near you.

It is in not uncommon for Christies to have a nose in the air, maybe a smaller venue would be more appropriate.