Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years.Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

I have come across what I believe are Victorian or certainly

Hi, I have come across what I believe are Victorian or certainly early 1900's sewing accessories. I have what I think is called a sewing bird clamp and two wooden tape measure spools. Would you be able to help me in determining a rough age to them and valuation? Many thanks. Ian.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

I am familiar with hemming birds. I have one in my collection.

Is yours wood with cushion or is it silver with cushion?

Does it have the table clamp?

Kind regards,
Doris

If another professional enters our exchanges, feel free to tell them that you are working with me if you wish.

Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

It could be steel or brass...?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi it is steel I assume as it has some rust, I shall attach a picture. It does also have a clamp.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also have a picture of the tape measures which I'll attach also, many thanks Dorris
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

Your hemming tool is not actually a hemming bird. Those actually have the shape of a bird as part of the design.

Your pieces date early 20thC.

The hemming clamp has an estimated retail value of $95-120.

The lovely inlaid wood tape spools would have an estimated retail value of $75-90 each.

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Etsy.com - small fees - 20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com
Bonanza.com
Amazon Marketplace: http://services.amazon.com/content/sell-on-amazon.htm/ref=footer_soa?ld=AZFSSOA
Or your nearest CraigsList.com where you can list items for free.

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.
GoAntiques.com
Rubylane.com
Tias.com
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com

In general, a private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of estimated retail value.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" at the first of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.

If another professional enters our exchanges after my answer here, please feel free to tell them you are working with me, if you wish.

Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so much for the positive rating. If you have questions in the future, please request me by typing “For Doris only” at the first of the question. Most professionals on the site will honor that request.

Thank you again.