Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years.Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

I have two painting by A.Schoder May, both measure 23x19",

I have two painting by A.Schoder May, both measure 23x19", would they be worth selling? Is he a sought after artist. Both have 4 men around a table but are different. Any suggestions please
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please tell me the sizes, not including frames. Do not remove from frames.

What is the medium - oils, watercolors, etc.?

Kind regards,
Doris

If another professional enters our exchanges, feel free to tell them that you are working with me if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, thanks for your response, they are 20"Dx16"W, I'm not sure I will send photos if that's possible.
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

The artist is Albert Friedrich Shroder, a German - (1854-1939).

He sometimes included "May" in his signature.

When assessing an artist's work, appraisers must look at completed sales of works by the same artist. Art gallery sales prices are private.
We must then go to auction sales prices which are public. When using comparable work by the same artist, medium, subject matter and size are factors to be considered.
Appraisers most often use price per square inch of previously sold comparable works by the same artist as a measure of value.

Using this widely accepted method of assessment, I was able to determine an auction value of $3754 for each of your paintings (same major factors) assuming good condition and depending on sale location.

Please note, I realize there are paintings by Schroder than have sold for more but I had to use the more recent sales.

As for retail value, I have seen art sell for 4 to 5 times auction values depending on the tastes of the art gallery owner as well as location of the gallery.

In general, a private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 10% more than retail values.

If you wish to sell, these are my suggestions -

The internet has your widest pool of buyers. To sell close to estimated retail try the following -

Try ads on sites such as

https://www.artbrokerage.com/help/selling-art

http://www.rubylane.com/art

http://www.askart.com/Ads_Individual.aspx

https://www.artnet.com/auctions/all-artworks/?utm_campaign=bannerad&utm_source=080514auctionsevergreen&utm_medium=link

http://www.artvalue.com

http://www.artprice.com/marketplace/sell-an-artwork

Some like Etsy.com where you can set up your store for free and the selling fees are small - 20 cents to list an item plus 3.5% of the final price.

Or list with no fees whatsoever:

http://forum.findartinfo.com/default.asp?CAT_ID=2

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" at the first of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.

If another professional enters our exchanges after my answer here, please feel free to tell them you are working with me, if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi there Doris, these have been sitting in my shed, bloody hell, that is a fortune to me, an incredible sum for each painting. I am totally grateful for the information you have given me, you have been a BIG help, thank you, ***** ***** that.
Kind Regards
Jackie
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

You are most welcome.

Please be aware that the auction sale prices for this painter vary more widely than usual.

Thank you so much for the positive rating. If you have questions in the future, please request me by typing “For Doris only” at the first of the question. Most professionals on the site will honor that request.

Thank you again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
34;For Doris Only"
Hi there, sorry to trouble you again, how would I know if they were reproductions or not? Would they still be worth selling?
Many Thanks
Jackie
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

Serves 12 with 5 pieces each and 12 serving pieces?

Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

My computer jumped to this question with response to another.

Back to you in a few minutes.

Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

In looking back through our exchanges, I found you never responded to my question about medium.

Are the pieces on canvas? Are the surfaces a bit uneven with a few tiny bumps of paint?

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Doris,
No neither look bumpy, not a good sign I suppose?
Jackie
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

No, Jackie, it is not.

Are they on canvas?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ive cleaned the glass, there is a slight raised effect yes, crumbs I'm so crap at this, so sorry.
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

If the pieces are under glass, they are almost certain not to be oil but copies.

If there is no backing, please tell me if the pieces are on canvas.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they are under glass, yes there is backing unfortunately too
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

Do they have separate thinker mats (like cut cardboard surrounding all side and on top between the color and the frame?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've put on 5 pictures the last one shows the top of the painting (it's pale) which is like wood or a weave to me but what do I know, sorry. Also I can see that it is in a frame in a frame if that makes sense, you can see by the back.
Bet I've been the most complicated of today for you, apologise.
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

They are well-framed. The name on the back is that of framing company.

Shroder worked almost exclusively in oils, certainly with subject matter like yours.

With glass over them, your pieces are prints/reproductions.

As framed prints, they are worth about $175-200 each.

I truly wish I had better news for you.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey thanks that's better than a kick in the teeth, greatly appreciated
Kindest Regards
Jackie
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome.

Again, I wish the result were better.