ncsunburst
ncsunburst, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antique Dealer
61108514

I am trying to identify a cream jug that I have, markings on

I am trying to identify a cream jug that I have, markings on it are as follows, do you recognise the markings please?
1/4
PT
51883 A1
Walker and hall
Sheffield
Warranted
Hard + silver
Soldered
Paul
Cream jug
Category: Antiques
Expert:  ncsunburst replied 1 year ago.

Hi Paul, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. Your piece dates from 1853-1920. The business was established in Sheffield in 1845 by ***** *****. Becoming an assistant of Dr. ***** ***** who had conducted important experiments on electroplating Walker secured the royalty of electroplating for Sheffield. The business was joined by ***** ***** and became in 1853 Walker & Hall. The factory was at Howard Street, Sheffield, while showrooms were opened in 45 Holborn Viaduct, London. Branches were opened in Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Newcastle, Cardiff, Belfast, Hull, Bristol, Melbourne and Adelaide (Australia), Cape Town (South Africa). Walker & Hall was converted into a limited liability company in 1920 under the style Walker & Hall Ltd and combined in 1963 under the British Silverware Ltd with Mappin & Webb and Elkington & Co. Walker and Hall Sheffield were primarily Sheffield Makers, but items with Birmingham, London and Chester Assay Marks can also be found. I hope this helps you. Thanks Mike

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer
by using the STARS so I will be compensated by JustAnswer for helping you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it silver or silver plated Mike?