Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years.Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

I have recently purchased a silver helmet cream jug,

I have recently purchased a silver helmet cream jug, registered at Chester in 1906. The makers' stamp is quite badly rubbed, but it is rectangular and the last letter is S. Do you have any idea who the maker might be, please?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

S is the most common ending for a sponsor's (maker's) mark as it usually means "& Sons."

If you send me a close-up, clear photo of the marks, I might be able to help.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the marks.

If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the marks and take a photo of the sketch.

To send photos you may use the "reply to expert" in the blue box link on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0

Kind regards,
Doris

If another professional enters our exchanges, feel free to tell them that you are working with me if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear Doris,Thank you very much for your reply. I have taken the photograph that you asked for; but I am afraid that I cannot see the blue box 'reply to expert' anywhere, and so cannot send the picture to you. Can you explain, or do you have an email address that I can use, please?Kind regards,Colin Mountford
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

Colin,

Please send your photos the email method.

This is the official explanation of how to send photos via email:

Please follow the directions exactly or they will not get to me.

Send the picture to ***@******.***

In the subject line put " Pictures for˜Doris in Antiques or Appraisals."
.
In the body of the message put, your user name and name.
.
Make sure to send these from the same address that you registered with

Just Answer, so they can verify who you are.

This method takes longer because the photos are sent to the Just Answer

techs who must forward them to me. It sometimes takes as long as 24 hours.
.

They will forward them to me and as soon as I get them I will contact you.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Doris,I have sent my picture to justanswer.com, and hope that it will arrive safely with you. I think it shows all the marks as clearly as I can make them.Incidentally, I see that there is an X at the right-hand end of the marks. Do you know what that stands for, please?Thank you very much for your help.With best regards,Colin Mountford
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

Colin,

Thank you. I will watch for them.

I will just need to see the X.

Kind regards,

Doris

Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

The marks indicate the following:

Sponsors (formerly called makers) were CS * FS for Cornelius Saunders & Francis Shepherd.

The had factories in London, Birmingham, Glasgow and Chester at various times. Jackson's describes them as "prolific manufacturers of small work and jewellery."

The large X is the actual maker's tally mark for the journeyman apprenticed to the firm of Saunders & Shepherd.

You have the other marks correctly described.

See;

http://www.925-1000.com/bx_SaundersShepard.html

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.

If another professional enters our exchanges after my answer here, please feel free to tell them you are working with me, if you wish.

Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?

Kind regards,
Doris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear Doris,Thank you very much for your two emails and especially for answering my questions regarding the sponsor's mark and the mysterious X of my little jug. It is nice to know the full maker's history. The jug is to be a present for a friend, and I will now be able to pass on your information to him.Thank you again for your trouble and your help.With best regards,Colin Mountford
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

Please do not forget my need for A POSITIVE RATING.It is the ONLY WAY I AM credited BY JA for my work.
Kind regards,

Doris

Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so much for the positive rating. If you have questions in the future, please request me by typing “For Doris only” as the first three words of the question. Most professionals on the site will honor that request.

Thank you again.