Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

1918/20 extremely large heavy earthenware painted plate with

Customer Question

1918/20 extremely large heavy earthenware painted plate with a pale apple green wash deep purple/Crimson peonys plus what look like maybe green finches and beautiful pale violet blue butterflies, no marks except very tiny gilt almost like plus signs
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I would love to help.
Please use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures of the item and any marks, labels or writing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is a photo
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.

I am unable to find a match for this item. I will opt-out and allow another expert to answer.
They will see our conversation and your photos. I am not able to respond once I opt-out. Good luck!

Expert:  Glenda B. Appraiser replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is Glenda,
.
Please note I am unable to do live phone conversations. I will not send a message to you asking for a phone call. If you get a message asking to do a phone call, this is not from me. It is an automated message from elsewhere.
.
.
.
I have been in the antique business for over 45 years, Appraising, Antique shop owner, also buying and selling on today's current market. it is my pleasure to put my experience to work for you.
.
Is the back of the plate marked?

Glenda

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, the only marks on the back are two gilt/gold crosses but more like plus signs, tiny a bit bigger than the x on an iPhone keyboard!

Can you up load a picture of this

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there are two.... If they were in a click they would be at quarters!

I will see if I can find anything that pertains to this mark.

Glenda

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankyou, my mum once had it appraised by a local sale room and they told her that they thought it was painted by a Jewish pottery painter who was sacked by one of the large pottery companies during or before World War One who then painted his own plates after buying up seconds, they told her that there were collectors in the Jewish community! I cannot verify this story because sadly my mum is no longer with us! It has been in my family a long time, given to my grandma when she got engaged by the family she was in service to, she was in service from the age of 12 and married I think at the age of 22 in I think 1922 so the plate could be as old as 1910, bought by her employer for his wife! She thought birds were unlucky and didn't like it, grandmother admired it and it was given to her! It has three drilled holes in the centre rim obviously meant to hang as a decoration on the wall, it is quite large 20 inches diameter and extremely heavy, it is now hung on the wall in my cottage sitting room!

Interesting, I will see if I can find information on a Polish Pottery, this might be the key to finding out about the plate.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome