Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
63759197

I have what appears to be a japanese tea pot, this is very

Customer Question

I have what appears to be a japanese tea pot, this is very highly decorated with bright colours of birds and flowers in red and blue. there is a mark underneath with four japanese marks and the wording japan it also has a bamboo handle. could I have your opinion of this if possible.thank you
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.

Hi Malcolm,

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your Japanese tea pot.

Could you very kindly attach a photo of it and one of the entire bottom showing the mark and I should be able to tell you all about it and give you a value.

Many thanks,
Robert.

PS. Once you have the photos in your computer (if you are using a smart phone camera, just email them to yourself) it's then a simple matter to attach them. Just click on the paperclip icon, located above the text box where you are typing to me. If there's no paperclip, click on the "Add files" tab.

If you get stuck go here for help.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0

Alternatively, if you can collar a passing teenager with an iPhone they would have photos posted here in about two minutes. Thanks R.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you for your reply I hope these pictures are clear enough for you, sorry for the delay had some problems getting them loaded. couldn´t find a passing teenager, we live in spain, only lots of oldies like me. thank you once again look forward to hearing from you.
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.

Those photos are perfect, thanks Malcolm, I can see exactly what you have.

I would describe the decor of your teapot as "Fancy Imari" rather than true Satsuma, but the differences often merge on this era of Japanese porcelain. It dates to the 1950s or 1960s when the Japanese perfected techniques for printing complex enamel patterns that did away with hand painting, though there may be a little 'heightening' of the colors here and there still done the old fashioned way by hand.

It depicts a pair of magpies, of course, as auspicious to the Japanese as they are in Europe, believed to be the bringers of good news. They are perched among tree peony blossoms or botan, also universally popular in the Asian tradition as bringers of wealth, health and eternal beauty, which pretty much covers all the bases!

The mark on the bottom is not one I've seen before, but then these Arita Imari decorators and import companies came and went with great rapidity at the time. The four character kanji seal reads (top right, bottom right, top left, bottom left):

恵称 Megumisho (the maker)
春己 'Spring treasure'

As for value, this era of fancy Imari porcelain is not quite old enough yet to have developed much collector premium and its value is purely decorative.

If you saw your teapot for sale in an antique shop it would be priced at about US$100.

Expect to get 30% - 40% of this if you were to sell at auction or on line (eBay etc).

I do hope this helps!

Please let me know if you'd like me to explain or expand on any of the above, I would be glad to.

Best wishes,
Robert.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your explanation it was very interesting.
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.

You are most welcome. Thanks for asking me about it!