Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
63759197

I have a vase that has jasper. England then a small sticker

Customer Question

I have a vase that has jasper. England then a small sticker saying blue John. It's a pale green/turquoise colour with gold and red pattern. It's not in very good condition two cracks and the top is very rubbed.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jackie,

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your interesting vase.

Could you very kindly attach a photo of it and one of the sticker.

Also, how tall is it?

Many thanks,
Robert

PS. Once you have the photos in your computer (if you are using a smart phone camera, just email them to yourself) it's then a simple matter to attach them. Just click on the paperclip icon, located above the text box where you are typing to me. If there's no paperclip, click on the "Add files" tab.

You need to be logged in to the JustAnswer site to do this. You can’t do it from email.

If you get stuck go here for help.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0

Alternatively, if you can collar a passing teenager with an iPhone they would have photos posted here in about two minutes. Thanks R.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hope you get pictures ok.
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.

Great pictures, thanks so much.

Can you see what that impressed writing (no ink) on the bottom reads?

Also, how tall is the vase?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jasper England. It's about 12" tall
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.

Great thanks, ***** ***** with me and I'll have an answer for you as soon as I can.

Best wishes,
Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I get the response? As I haven't given any contact details?
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.

No problem. You'll get the response here on this thread.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry not very technical - will I have to log back into this site?
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.

Yes. You have to be logged in to JustAnswers in order to see my response.

I should have it for you in about 20 mins or less.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will stay on line
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.

What you have is an example of art pottery made in Staffordshire at a little known pottery called the Blue John Pottery Ltd which operated in Hanley Stoke-on-Trent from 1886 until the 1960s.

This splendid Art Deco shape and decor dates the vase to the 1930s and was done to compete with the highly commercially successful art wares being produced by Clarice Cliff at the time, which are very similar.

I see the flaking around the top you mentioned, which is a shame as this kind of damage will detract a little from value, but looking at similar Blue John pieces that have come up for sale recently, if you saw your vase for sale in an antique shop it would have a full retail value of about £85. This is also the 'replacement' value for insurance purposes.

Expect to get 30% - 40% of this if you were to sell at auction or on line (eBay etc).

I do hope this helps!

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance with this, I would be glad to.

Best wishes,

Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks - it ties in with another vase I have Charlotte . Rhead, c1930 in excellent condition. I think they were both got in house clearances by my husbands grandmother
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.

Interesting! That makes sense and of course Charlotte Rhead is the other "Clarice Cliff" -also a remarkable ceramic artist.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wonder why it has a stamp saying 'jasper' 'England' ?
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.

Not sure. I puzzled over that too. My guess is that it's a factory shape name for that particular vase, or possibly that particular clay body. At that time each Staffordshire pottery had its own trade-names for clay bodies and giftware lines, some of which did not stay in production for that long.

It could be in the case of "Jasper" they got into copyright infringement problems with Wedgwood who have owned the "Jasper" and "Jasperware" terms since the 1700s and Blue John were forced to abandon it. It would certainly explain its obscurity.