Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
63759197

My favourite blue and plate/bowl has a lovely picture of a

My favourite blue and white plate/bowl has a lovely picture of a sailing boat with a windmill in the background. The mark on the bottom is like a small figure 7 with a line through it. I would love to know what the mark is.
Sally Foxen
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 9 months ago.

Hi Sally,

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your blue & white plate.

Could you very kindly attach a photo of it and one of the mark and I'll identify it for you and give you a value, if you wish.

What size is the plate? Diameter?

Many thanks,
Robert.

PS. Once you have the photos in your computer (if you are using a smart phone camera, just email them to yourself) it's then a simple matter to attach them. Just click on the paperclip icon, located above the text box where you are typing to me. If there's no paperclip, click on the "Add files" tab.

You need to be logged in to the JustAnswer site to do this. You can’t do it from email.

If you get stuck go here for help.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0

Alternatively, if you can collar a passing teenager with an iPhone they would have photos posted here in about two minutes. Thanks R.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Gosh! This has been a real learning-curve, but I've got there in the end. (Old lady, not used to all this). The dish is just under 8" in diameter. Am not expecting it to be valuable at all, but I love it and would like to know whether it comes from a named factory. The mark is not very clear but it is sort of a 7 with a line through.
Sally

Thanks for the photos, Sally, and well done with mastering the technology for attaching them!

Unfortunately your shot of the back of the dish/plate isn't clear enough to see what this mark is. If you can get a clear close-up I might be able to identify it for you.

The plate itself is typical of the Dutch Delft style produced in the early 20th century, I would guess 1930s judging by the somewhat Art Deco design of the border, and of course the subject matter which is a typical Netherlands scene of working sailing barges and a windmill that became so popular at that time. It's all hand painted (rather than printed) in cobalt blue on white tin-glazed earthenware in the traditional Delft manner that's been done this way since the 16th century when blue-and-white Delftware first became popular.

It's a lovely peaceful scenic plate, unfortunately not especially valuable as these were made in huge quantities at the time and by almost as many individual artists, virtually none of which is a collected 'name' and many examples of these plates still survive.

If you saw yours for sale in an antique shop it would have a price tag of about £75.00. This is also the replacement value for insurance purposes.

I do hope this helps!

As I say, if you can add a sharper photo of the mark, I may be able to tell you a little more. But these marks are usually of curiosity value only as knowing the maker won't alter the value I gave you in this particular instance.

Best wishes,
Robert

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Many thanks. Very happy with that. Even your valuation was a good surprise. I paid £15 for it last year in an antique shop and I truly love it.
Sally

You are very welcome, delighted to have helped!

You certainly got a bargain. Well done!

I believe the artist who did it must have been pleased with it too, as he went to the trouble of decorating the back of the rim where only the three of us (you, me and him) would ever know it had been painted!

I hope you get years of enjoyment out of it!

All the best,
Robert.

Experience: Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.