Tim in Antiques
Tim in Antiques, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Certified Fine Art Appraiser, MA, President of ANA, CFAA
54025905

I have just inherited a Rowland Hilder watercolour, I may

Customer Question

Hi , I have just inherited a Rowland Hilder watercolour , I may wish to dispose of , could you give me a estimated value please ? It is called FARM HIGH HALSTOW 6.5" X 10" , with a hand written letter from the artist to my father reference the origin of the painting . Thank you
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Tim in Antiques replied 1 year ago.

Good day, my name is ***** ***** is my pleasure to assist you with this question about your water colour by Rowland HILDER (1905-1993)

was an English marine and landscape artist and book illustrator. He has been called 'the Turner of his generation'[1], and according to the Dictionary of National Biography 'The description "Rowland Hilder country" (attached primarily to the weald of Kent) evokes a landscape as distinctive and personal as "Constable's country" along the Suffolk Stour.'

He studied at Goldsmith's College School of Art in the 1920s, and exhibiting at the Royal Academy in London at the tender age of eighteen, Hilder went on to become a distinguished painter of oils and watercolours, as well as illustrator for numerous books including Moby Dick, Treasure Island and Mary Webb's Precious Bane.

In the Second World War, Hilder was commissioned to do work for the Ministry of Information largely because of his pre-war work, notably for London and North Eastern Railways (LNER).

After the war, Hilder returned to university but this time as a much-admired lecturer at Goldsmiths' College. He also wrote the internationally best-selling book Starting in Watercolours. He was awarded an OBE in 1986, and after he died in 1993, the Royal Institute of Painters in Watercolours honoured him by instituting an annual Rowland Hilder award in his memory. Information provided by: http://www.mywatercolour.co.uk/

Is it possible to send photos of the watercolour.

Here are instructions on how to send photos to this site. Go to:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert- Or you can

email the photographs to***@******.*** attention Timothy in antiques.

I look forward to seeing your watercolour.

Thank you for sending the photograph of the watercolour. First I will start with an analysis of Rowland Hilder's standing in the art market

100 $ invested in 2000 in a work of Rowland HILDER have an average value of 76 $ (-24 %) in May 2016

Ranking in 2015 12,215

Price evolution 2015 -17 %

Number of lots sold in 2015 19

Turnover in 2015 $28,118

% of bought-in lots (prints excluded) in 2015 5.3%

Geographic distribution over the past 10 years United Kingdom (94%)

© Artprice.com

Here is a list of the most recent auction results for watercolours similar to yours:

The auction house is:

Rosebery's , London

United Kingdom, 28 Jun 2016

Hammer price: £500, £880, £1,250.

the three sold on the same day in the same auction. This gives us a solid set of comparable sale to establish a value range for your watercolour without the letter. With the letter the value estimate is toward the top end £1,250.

Thank you for the opportunity view a wonderful work by a fine artist.

Cheers Timothy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks a great help , would you be able to help on paintings by Goerge Thomas Rope? If so , happy to take photos and pay again !

You are welcome. I would love to look at your ***** ***** Rope (1845 - 1929).

Please ask for Timothy when you do.