Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
63759197

I have a vase from Poole Pottery which has a 1959-67 stamp,

I have a vase from Poole Pottery which has a 1959-67 stamp, and is marked style 595. I'm looking to have it valued so that I can sell it. Can you help?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 11 months ago.

Hi Liz,

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to value your Poole pottery.

Please go ahead and add a photo of it and one of the entire bottom. So much of the value is in the artistic merit of the decoration and which of the Poole artists decorated it.

Also, how big is it? Should be about 9", correct?

Many thanks and wait to hear,
Robert.

PS. Once you have the photos in your computer (if you are using a smart phone camera, just email them to yourself) it's then a simple matter to attach them. Just click on the paperclip icon, located above the text box where you are typing to me. If there's no paperclip, click on the "Add files" tab.

You need to be logged in to the JustAnswer site to do this. You can’t do it from email.

If you get stuck go here for help.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0

Alternatively, if you can collar a passing teenager with an iPhone they would have photos posted here in about two minutes.

Thanks R.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Robert, many thanks for getting back to me. Two photos are attached (and I didn't even need a teenager!). The vase is 9 inches and is in pristine condition: no cracks, scratches or chips. Thanks!

Perfect! And teenager-free uploading, well done!

That's all I need to see. Leave this with me and I'll have an answer for you as soon as possible.

Best wishes,

Robert

You are quite right about the date, your pretty vase in Poole Pottery's "CS Floral" pattern (first designed by Truda Carter in the 1930s) has the factory mark "number 41" which was used between 1959-1967.

The handwritten marks on the base indicate the pattern (CS) and the quality of the painted design (E for Elaborate which was the highest standard), and the decorator (the squiggle under the CS) is for Silvia Davis (1952-1962).

Although very decorative and all hand-painted, this is not from Poole Pottery's most desirable era or decorator, so prices on the secondary market (auctions and on line, such as eBay etc) are modest.

I would give this piece an auction or on line value in the range of £20 and £30.

It would have a full retail value (if you saw it for sale in an antique shop, say) of £60. This is also the replacement value for insurance purposes. The examples you may see for sale on eBay are usually "Buy-it-Nows" or non-auction listings, marked at the full retail price and rarely if ever sell for the asking price. Always look at "Sold Listings" when comparing prices.

I do hope this helps!

Best wishes,

Robert.