Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have had a Hutton silver plated biscuit barrel. Can you

Customer Question

I have had a William Hutton silver plated biscuit barrel.
Can you date it from the following hall mark information
Cross (logo) Arrows
WH & S B P AI
Hard soldered
31364
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

I have collected/sold/appraised antique English silver since 1957-58. I was a guest of silver dealer's family in London for three months back then.

Since then, I have traveled to England over 50 times.

Needless to say, English silver is one of my specialties.

Your biscuit barrel is plated silver. The mark you see is not a "hallmark." Only English marks that appear on sterling (the lion passant or earlier rampant lion or symbol of Britannia) that must be guaranteed the standard for sterling (assayed) at the several English assay halls have "hallmarks.'

While English sterling almost always has a date letter, most of the plated pieces do not.

There are no such symbols or letters for William Hutton plated pieces unless there is a registration number for a date range.

If you send me a close-up, clear photo of the marks, I can give you a date range by the style of the mark.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the marks.

If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the marks and take a photo of the sketch.

To send photos you may use the "reply to expert" or "add files" in the blue box link on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0

If you send me a photo of the biscuit barrel (box) itself, I will be able to give you values.

Kind regards,

Doris

Expert:  Doris replied 11 months ago.

Brenda, if you are having trouble with sending photos, would you like for me to give you a general value and general date range?

Please let me know.

Kind regards,

Doris