Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years.Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

What does this mean? L& EPNS A1 in the back of a spoon and

What does this mean?
L&B EPNS A1 in the back of a spoon and on the other side
A picture and Z or N
Thank you for your answer!
Johanna from Finland
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It seems to be a crown and below it N
Expert:  Doris replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

The L & B stand for the Sheffield, UK, silversmiths Larder & Burgess. They produced spoons and flatware 1904-1930s.

EPNS represents ElectroPlated Nickel Silver meaning silver plated over a base metal alloy made mostly of nickel.

The term A1 is mostly a marketing ploy meant to indicate that a piece was of superior plating.

The picture, crown and letter are monograms and crests representative of the family that commissioned the pieces.

I hope this helps you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hello Doris! Thank You so much for your answer! Can you see the photo? Would you have any idea about the family with the crown and N ? There is something above the crown - a cross or something like that... Or could you advise me where to search that kind of information? Thanks again!
Expert:  Doris replied 11 months ago.

http://www.college-of-arms.gov.uk/

This is the College of Arms in England. They can try to research the family for you but please know looking for the exact family is like "looking for a needle in a haystack."

These crests are very common. It's only when there is a full armorial that one has a real chance of finding the name of the family.

I am only credited for my work on this question if you rate my answer positively, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.

Expert:  Doris replied 11 months ago.

Thank you so much for the positive rating. If you have questions in the future, please request me by typing “For Doris only” as the first three words of the question. Most professionals on the site will honor that request.

Thank you again.