Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

Regarding a sterling silver coffee pot (see ebay listing)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222232635980
Regarding a sterling silver coffee pot (see ebay listing) and solid silverware generally speaking. I once purchased a pocket watch and was surprised to find that only the hallmarked parts of the watch were solid; the rest were plated. E.g. the crown wasn't hallmarked and it clearly had brass as base metal visible due to wear. Anyway thus my question: do you know what the case is for silverware generally speaking and specifically this coffee pot? I can't seem to find an answer on the internet. If e.g. the lid of this coffee pot is not separately hallmarked would this imply that it might be plated, or would the hallmarks on the sterling silver body reasonably refer to all the metallic parts? What about soldered-on parts like a knob, base and spout? Thanks!
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.

The Georgian style coffee pot in this listing is sterling silver on all parts except the ***** ***** handle, so one

would usually subtract about 70 grams for a handle like this one to know the actual weight of the sterling.

This pot sold for the price of scrap silver if one subtracts the handle weight.

The marks on the pot indicate sterling silver, where pocket watches and gold assay marks can be more tricky.

Sterling and silver plate are much more straight forward when dealing with English silver.

To finish, I will need you to click the five stars at the top of your screen and hit submit, thanks!