Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I have a Round electro plated tea coffee set .the series no

I have a John Round electro plated tea coffee set .the series no underneath is 5898 .I think it dates to 1896 . this is because it has an engraving on it that says it was presented to a Mrs T.M Rees in the April of that year.I wondered if you could give me a rough value .It is in good condition but needs a polish which i am reluctant to do as yet . many thanks please see attached photo *****
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I would love to help. There were no pictures that came in with your original inquiry.
Please use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures of the set and any marks, labels or writing on the bottom.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I hope these help.
Regards Rose
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi rarewares hope you got my pictures ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi rarewares, did you get the photos.regards R
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry but are you still there ?
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.

My apologies, I was in a meeting.

I got the photos, but the bottom photo which is most important, is blurry. I would love if you could back up a bit and try again.All of the information that I need to decipher is in that area.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is what is written underneath : half pint with4 at side, underneath, 5898. Underneath, J R (in an oval)& in a square,S in a square, crown in a shield,EP in an upright oval, a World and around it 'ALL THE ROUND'. then underneath, warranted harc soldered.
The coffee pot and tea pot have no, 11 on, and on the sugar and milk is no,13.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The teapot has half pint with a 4 at the side .the coffee pot has half pint with a5 at the side all other details are as above .
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.

This is an electroplated three piece tea set made by John Round and Son between 1847 to 1874.

After 1874, the company name was changed to John Round and Sons Ltd. The pattern is number

5898 and the styling helps date the set closer to 1870 and the All THE Round trade name was used

beginning in 1870. The set seems to have been bought as a vintage set and presented in 1896.

This set has a current value of GBP 100.00 to 150.00 retail.
To finish, I will need you to click the five stars at the top of your screen and hit submit, thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you I saw A similar set by the same maker today also ep that was sold for £959 can u tell me what makes the difference in price l
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.

An electro plate tea set by any maker would not have that kind of value.

I would say whomever purchased it got taken in some manner or the set was actually sterling silver.

That price sounds more like what a sterling set would be valued at.

I can't really explain the difference without seeing the actual set and sale page, these are just my assumptions, something about that does not sound correct.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.