Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I have been baffled by the reference on the reverse of an

Customer Question

I have long been baffled by the reference mark on the reverse of an ironstone plate and in particular by the design on the plate itself. I am unable to trace any maker or similar product. I inherited it from my grandmother and it's probably late 19th century.
The marks read 'ironstone china masher G&K; above is a royal crown and below is a number reading Rd.No. 9269
The design carries three main illustrations - a small group of coastal sailing craft within an oblong frame, a scene with a castle and small sailing vessel (reminiscent of a simple foreign rig like a dhow) placed within an oval frame accompanied by ferns and flowers while separately there are two birds in flight. Thirdly there is a floral design in the shape of a part fan accompanied by various sprigs of flowers. The whole design is in black with the rim of the plate also black - funerial?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Rarewares replied 9 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I would love to help.
Please use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures of the item and any marks, labels or writing.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sorry,I am unable to handle computers very well so cant send a pic. I have already stated the marks on the plate

That is fine, I know this maker and pattern.

This is a transferware plate made in 1884 by Goode and Kenworthy of Tunstall, Staffordshire, England

in the Masher pattern. This pattern was made in several colors. It is a whimsical, pleasant pattern with three cartouches surrounded by flowers and blossoms. Three birds in flight hover around the cartouches. There is a fan with geometric patterns, a rectangular cartouche with two sailing boats with clouds in the background, and an oval cartouche with a landscape featuring tall trees and water. Do see the photo that I have added for an example of this pattern on a platter.

Your plate has a value of $75 to $100 retail.
Some sites that I recommend for selling are Varagesale.com, Ioffer.com, OfferUp.com, Ebay and letgo.com.
You can also go to invaluable.com or liveauctioneers.com and search their directory for an auction house near you and consign to them.

To finish, I will need you to click the five stars at the top of your screen and hit the submit button, thanks!

I am following up to see if you have read your answer and need further help with this item.
Please do let me know.