ExpertAppraiser
ExpertAppraiser, Accredited Appraiser
Experience:  USPAP appraiser: art, antiques, coins and collectibles.
59032044

I have a copy of Geoffrey Godden's very first book

Customer Question

I have a copy of Geoffrey Godden's very first book "Encyclopaedia of British Pottery and Porcelain Marks" First Published in 1964 by Herbert Jenkins Ltd. I live in Worthing and did some work for Mr. Godden i.e. prepared this book for publication, and which he presented to me, with a signed message on the first inside cover page, which reads "To Denise Nowell, without your help this book would not have seen the light of day - thanks -
and it is signed "Geoffrey Godden".
Since sadly he has now died, I wondered if it would have any value and would like to ask if you can advise me as to my next procedure, should there be one!
Denise Nowell (Mrs)
Category: Antiques
Expert:  ExpertAppraiser replied 1 year ago.

Hello Mrs. Nowell, typically copies of Encyclopaedia of British Pottery and Porcelain Marks as published by Herbert Jenkins in 1964 sell in antique shops at the 15 to 25 GBP level and with an inscription, the additional value is modest as the author is not a "celebrity" or a figure well-known outside of the industry. At auction and in online sites, this book can sell for 5 to 10 GBP. To a collector with a signature and inscription, perhaps it would be worth 25 GBP.

Following-up! Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars and bonus gives me the best rating.

This will close out the question and allow me to assist others, as I assisted you.

Following-up one final time as you reviewed your answer shortly after I posted it, yet elected to not rate it. I am following-up to see if I can be of further assistance as I noticed that you elected to not rate the question.

At JustAnswer the only way that experts receive any compensation for our efforts is if the customers rate our professionalism.

Please rate using the star system so that this question may be closed out and again, thank you.