rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in sterling, gold, American and European porcelain and art glass.
68269273

Spode 2028" in red handwriting on bottom of inherited 6 tea

Spode 2028" in red handwriting on bottom of inherited 6 tea cups & saucers, two plates and one bowl. A gold green and red floral pattern. Cant find it on internet. How else identify and approximate value. Probably 1930s when grandparents were married or older?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 7 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I would love to help. There were no pictures that came with your question.
Please use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures of the item and any marks, labels or writing.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks. Sorry about the delay. I have had to work out how to transfer photos from my iphone , where I have not set up any email, to my PC where I have it. Now done.As you can see from the main group pic, there are 6 cups and saucers, 2 plates and one bowl, all with 'Spode 2028' in red on the bottom of every piece. The bowl was once (50+ years ago ) broken and has been repaired with 10 metal clips on the outside. All the other pieces are in good condition with no cracks or chips. Photos attached. While the cupboard has been valued for insurance, the china's value was lumped as part of most other china in the house.circumference height
Sizes: Cups: 6.2cm 6.3cm
Saucers: 13.2cm 2.6cm (of rim; viz highish, almost a shallow 'bowl')
Round plate 18.2cm 3.3cm ditto
Oval plate: 20.0cm x 16.0cm 1.5cm more definitely a shallow plate
Bowl 16.0cm 7.9cm definitely a "bowl" !Regards
Paul Moynagh

This is a set of early Spode (England) in pattern number 2028. This is called mark#2, painted on in red and in all caps, which

helps date this set to the 1790's. After 1800, the mark was in red but in upper and lower case letters. The set

is in gilt and iron red with a pale background, with birds in the cartouches. This pattern does not have a name

since back then only the numbers were used. The set has an insured value of $3000 and should not be lumped in

with the other china in the house (you are correct!).

To finish, I will need you to click the five stars at the top of your screen and hit the submit button, thanks!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Many thanks, ***** ***** pleasant surprise. You have been most helpful.Though I inquired via "justanswer. CO.UK" you value the china in US dollars. Living as I do in UK where the china also resides would your $3,000 at the current exchange rate (£0.82 per 1 US$) be a valid way to give its UK value in pounds ?sterling? - viz: £2460, or should one need to consider any possible difference in the antique china market this side of the Atlantic?

The experts work FOR the site but not AT the site and I am only given your question
and no other information, so apologies for not using the exchange rate and consideration for the area's value.

You are correct, a UK valuation would be a bit less based on the value of Spode in the UK.

This set should be insured for £2000 since Spode does not bring as much in the UK as it does abroad.

Experience: Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in sterling, gold, American and European porcelain and art glass.