Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
63759197

I have a very old blue plate of my mothers. It is not

Customer Question

I have a very old blue plate of my mothers. It is not printed but impressed into the plate at the back is a
crescent looks like a C inside this looks like a lion or could be a vine leaf. There is the letter B on one side of impression and the number 10 on the other. It is decorated with dark blue large leaves. I think it might be from the 1700? could this be right.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 10 months ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your plate.

Could you very kindly attach a photo of it and one of the mark.

Also, how big is it? (Approximate diameter.)

Many thanks,

Robert.

PS. Once you have the photos in your computer (if you are using a smart phone camera, just email them to yourself) it's then a simple matter to attach them. Just click on the paperclip icon, located above the text box where you are typing to me. If there's no paperclip, click on the "Add files" tab.

You need to be logged in to the JustAnswer site to do this. You can’t do it from email.

If you get stuck go here for help.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0

Alternatively, if you can collar a passing teenager with an iPhone they would have photos posted here in about half a minute.

Thanks R.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Robert,Please find photos attached. The plate is approx 8.5" in diameter.Thank you for your help,
Andee

Hi Andee,

Thanks for the excellent photos, I can see exactly what you have now.

This boldly painted 'flow blue' porcelain plate is marked for the Staffordshire firm of ***** ***** & Sons and this mark was used from c.1874 to 1924. The Art Nouveau style design -hand painted sprays of roses and rose buds & leaves- is a pattern called "Adams Rose"- and would therefore place it right in the middle of that range, circa 1890 - 1910 when this pattern was in fashion, itself a revival of an earlier, so called "stick spatter" decoration, that was fashionable in Regency England of the early 1800s.

Looking at the mark, what you describe as a lion or a vine leaf is, in fact, a monogramme of the initials GJ (for ***** *****) and the & Sons part is written inside the crescent. It's not very legible, so I sympathize with you not being able to identify it The impression has filled with glaze obscuring the details. Here's a slightly better image of what the mark should look like. The "B" and the "10" are factory codes for the type of clay body and mold shapes, etc, and can be ignored.

"Flow blue" is usually defined as being a china decoration where the edge of the blue bleeds into the white and is also often (but not always) created by using transfer prints rather than by hand painting. In this case it's the less usual hand painting and that elevates it from the ordinary.

***** ***** was considered one of the more artistic potteries operating at the time, and they produced a number of hand painted variations of the "Adams Roses" pattern. Here's their more usual one in colors. Your all-blue version is rarer.

As for value, if you saw your plate for sale in a retail setting, such as an antique shop, say, it would have a price tag of around £55. This is also the replacement value for insurance purposes.

Expect 30% - 40% of this if you were to sell at a good antique auction house or on line (eBay etc).

I do hope this helps!

Best wishes,

Robert.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you very much

You're very welcome, delighted to have helped.

When you get a moment could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer at no extra cost to you. We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do.

And if you have another item you'd like to ask me about, just start a new Question and put "For Robert S....." in the subject line. Thanks so much, Robert