Glenda B. Appraiser
Glenda B. Appraiser, Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience buying and selling antiques as a collector and 14+ yrs. as antique store owner. Member of Association of Online Appraisers and AADA.
53729464

Railwayana; I have an 11in. brass shunting horn made by

Railwayana; I have an 11in. brass shunting horn made by J.Tournier of Paris, and stamped LYR (Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway). I understand it was used as a warning for the workers in railway shunting yards in the 19th century. The ceramic mouthpiece is broken but it still gives a good blast when blown. I no longer want this and would like to know if it has a value. Thank you.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. Appraiser replied 1 month ago.

Hi, my name is Glenda,

This is your answer, please read entirely.
.

The Brass Horn, has an estimated value on the current market for an average of $350.00-375.00 Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained. If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from.
.
You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is also Rubylane, which is a more upscale site where people sell more expensive items. There is also Tias and GoAntiques, which is on the same scale of Rubylane. There is Amazon Market Place, and of course Ebay. You can also sell on Charish, where you consign items. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great! All sites can be sold from with pick up only option.
.
If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
.
Please ask any question you might have about your answer before rating this.
.
It was a pleasure working for you. If you have more items you need values for. Just send to "Glenda Only" I would be happy to help.
.
Glenda,
.
Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. This is the only way we get compensated for our work.They should be located top left of the page. Or you may see review expert or rate expert.
.
If using a phone you have to scroll back to the top of the page where you started, there is a box that says finish rating! Then a box opens with stars in it, then you click the stars.
.
If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

Hi, my name is Glenda,

.

.
.
.
.
.
Glenda,
.
.
.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your valuation of the shunting horn. I have searched on the web to find another but there has not been anything except identical small hunting horns for sale very cheaply (average £20). I think the L&YRailway must have bought a batch and stamped them with their initials. The valuation you offer is far higher than expected, and I wonder if you realise the mouthpiece is damaged.