Glenda B. Appraiser
Glenda B. Appraiser, Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience buying and selling antiques as a collector and 14+ yrs. as antique store owner. Member of Association of Online Appraisers and AADA.
53729464

I have a silver rococo style snuff box c.1740 with the R/M

I have a silver rococo style snuff box c.1740 with the mark R/M on the inside of the lid and the inside of the base. no other hall marks . can you help me identify the maker please?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. Appraiser replied 1 month ago.

My name is Glenda,
I am reviewing your question.
I will return in just a moment.

Can you send a picture of this?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
A picture of the mark or the box?
the mark is an impressed capital R then an upright bar which is bigger than the letter and then a capital M

Both would be great

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hopefully I have attached a picture of the box
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Here is the photo of the mark I am asking about

Thank you, ***** ***** is that of Robert Makepeace from New Castle, England.

.

This is your answer, please read entirely.
.

The Silver Snuff Box, has an estimated value on the current market for an average of 150.00-175.00 GBP if sold at an auction(a local auction ) it would sell for a little less,at around 125.00-130.00, if this were sold in a High End Antique Shop in a larger city it would sell for 150.00 and up depending on the condition. If I were selling it I would list it for 175.00
.
Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained. If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from.
.
You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is also Rubylane, which is a more upscale site where people sell more expensive items. There is also Tias and GoAntiques, which is on the same scale of Rubylane. There is Amazon Market Place, and of course Ebay. You can also sell on Charish, where you consign items. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great! All sites can be sold from with pick up only option.
.
If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
.
Please ask any question you might have about your answer before rating this.
.
It was a pleasure working for you. If you have more items you need values for. Just send to "Glenda Only" I would be happy to help.
.
Glenda,
.
Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. This is the only way we get compensated for our work.They should be located top left of the page. Or you may see review expert or rate expert.
.
If using a phone you have to scroll back to the top of the page where you started, there is a box that says finish rating! Then a box opens with stars in it, then you click the stars.
.
If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Many thanks Glenda, that is most helpful. Do you agree with the date, circa 1740?

More like 1750 to 1770's

.

.
Glenda,
.
.
.