Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I have a hip flask very worn with a clear JH in the screw

I have a hip flask very worn with a clear JH in the screw top with a queens head and the lion and what looks like a 1855 letter followed by what looks like a heart
can you help
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'd love to help. I specialize in English silver and seeing the marks and the shapes around the marks will help.
Use the +Add Files feature next to the SEND button to upload photos of the item, including marks, labels or signatures.
The feature works best when you add ONE picture, put a word in the text box, hit send, then do the next.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 month ago.

Wonderful! Thank you. While I work on that, also add one of the flask and let me know the size.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
height 13 cm
width 8 cm depth 2 cm
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 month ago.

This is an antique sterling silver whiskey hip flask, having a plain oval shaped body, and a screw fit lid. Made by ***** ***** of London in 1855. The dimensions determine that this weighs approx. 140g (4.93 troy ounces). Similar have sold recently for £585 to £650.

The marks read as follows, JH for maker ***** *****, profile facing is the duty mark, lion for sterling assay, Old English capital U for 1855 year, and lion head for the city of London.

To end this one, please click the stars in the upper right and hit submit.
A good feedback is the only way I am paid by the site.
This action does not cost you anything extra.