ExpertAppraiser
ExpertAppraiser, Accredited Appraiser
Experience:  USPAP appraiser: art, antiques, coins and collectibles.
59032044

I have 2 large serving spoons with BB&H EP A1(in a shield

Customer Question

I have 2 large serving spoons with BB&H EP A1(in a shield type box)cay you identify them for me?
Shelagh
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  ExpertAppraiser replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for the question, Shalagh.

Based on the description it might be Barker Brothers (see: http://www.silvercollection.it/ENGLBARKERBROS.html) in absence of a photo, you may want to check out this site that has a very comprehensive listing of silverplate and silver stamps, see also: http://www.silvercollection.it/englishsilvermarksXB.html

The EP stands for electroplated, and the A1 also indicates that it may be plated. British electroplaters used a letter code for their "Plated" wares. The best quality was "A1" or "AI", lower level was "A", next level was "B", followed by level "C", and the lowest level was "D".
A1 (or AI)= Superior Quality = 32 grams on 12 pieces = 2 2/3 grams per table spoon or table fork.

Again, thanks and let me know if I can be of further help. Please use the 5-star rating system to rate my professionalism as it's the sole way experts are recognized by JustAnswer for our service.

Good morning, Shelagh; Following-up since you reviewed your answer and did not elect to rate it using the JustAnswer 5-star system. It's the sole way that JustAnswer experts are recognized and does not impact what you pay. You don't pay any more and it's the only way that experts are compensated for helping. I hope that this answer was helpful and thank you.

Hi! This is my final check-in since you didn't rate this answer using the five-star system in the upper right hand corner. It is the only way that JustAnswer experts are recognized for our work in answering your questions and it does not cost you anything additional. Please consider rating my effort and professionalism in helping you and thank you.