Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I have a teacup, saucer and plate, part of a six part tea

I have a teacup, saucer and plate, part of a six part tea service, which belonged to my great grandmother. It was allegedly a wedding present which would date it about 1860 if true. My mother confirmed that she had been known it since a toddler when she was told it was very old and delicate and belonged to her late grandmother. My mother was born in 1923.
My great grandmother emigrated to Australia about the time of her marriage and so the tea service could either have come with her from England or been purchased in early Australia where such things would have been rare.
It has no marks whatsoever, except a dob of gold paint inside the cup. Some of the gold paint seems to have been applied by hand to the very outside as the strokes vary greatly in thickness and size, however the more delicate tracery just inside the scallops seems too uniform. The flower centres are raised dots of gold paint and are also irregular, but some of these seem to have worn off over the years. It is very light and delicate and translucent when held up to the light.
I wish to give it to a nephew a a wedding gift next April, but it would be good to be able to give the couple some information about it as well as the family history of it. I am well aware it could well be very cheap colonial tableware, but even that would be interesting. I can find nothing like it on the internet despite searching for some time.
Faye
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Rarewares replied 22 days ago.

My name isCustomerand I'd love to help.
Use the +Add Files feature next to the SEND button to upload photos of the item, including marks, labels or signatures.
The feature works best when you add ONE picture, put a word in the text box, hit send, then do the next.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
photo attached
Expert:  Rarewares replied 22 days ago.

This is a circa 1890 Japanese porcelain trio set (cup, saucer and dessert plate)

made with a pale white rose pattern and enamel gold painted details on scalloped edges

with green stencil and blown green background. This style of airbrush look

and stencil airbrush styled leaves is what makes the cup distinctly Japanese.

They used a bamboo straw as their air brush to get the look of stencils and

graduated backgrounds. It would have been made before the country name on porcelain was

required on imports/exports by the McKinley Tariff Act of 1891.

Thr translucency of the porcelain is also a Japanese trait of porcelain that other countries had

not yet accomplished at that time.

This set has a value of $125USD.

Please do click the stars now for this one (bonuses are also welcome!), it is very important for me
to get good feedback for answering.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Could it have been as early as the marriage which was sometime between 1865 - 1874? Other cup,saucer and dessert plates went to different members of the family - would it have been better to keep the six sets together?
Expert:  Rarewares replied 22 days ago.

It could not have been much earlier than the late 1800's as this was not the style 1865-1874 and these techniques on porcelain were not in use then. It would have been better to keep a set of six together, yes. It actually would have been a whole set to include a tea pot, sugar and creamer as well as the six trios.

To end this one, please click the stars in the upper right and hit submit.
A good feedback is the only way I am paid by the site.
This action does not cost you anything extra.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Thank you so much, that is very clear. That means it must have been bought in Australia, perhaps as a wedding anniversary gift!
Expert:  Rarewares replied 22 days ago.

That certainly would make the most sense in this case.