Techdesk
Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK
13782322

Samsung fridge freezer. Fridge fan was noisy when door was

Customer Question

Samsung fridge freezer. Fridge fan was noisy when door was open noise went away now the fridge does not work can you tell me if its worth fixing how to fix it or will I be better off to buy a new fridge freezer
Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.

Hiya,

inside the fridge, behind the drawers, is there any ice there?

How old is the appliance?
Is the fan inside the fridge running? (you should hear it stopping when you open the door).

.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There is no ice behind any drawers the appliance is about 7 years old the fan doesn't come on it the freezer part works perfect the ice machine and water dispenser is perfect just the fridge doesn't work before it stopped working the fan was noisy. When you open the fridge door the fan was quiet. Probably because the fan stopped when the door was opened I have looked on some Samsung forums and I know that there is a kit available but I don't know if its an easy fix supposed to. Be at 7 years old is it worth fixing and how much is I timely to cost and as this is part of the original question am I charged any more money if so I will not be happy many thanks regards James
Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.

Hiya,

Sorry, it's only the fridge side I'm interested in as this is the side you indicated the problem was on.

.

As there's no ice it suggests a fault in the system (blockage in the refrigeration pipework).

.

However, unplug the appliance.

Take the rear panel behind the drawers off.

If it's iced up and held by ice, defrost it, don't snap it off.

.

Let me know what you find.

You only pay me once, not for each exchange.

.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi I already had the fridge back off there is no ice on the back of the fridge the fridge has been switched off when I moved it to check the back when the noise first car on from the fan
Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.

Hiya,

OK, so it's completely defrosted inside the fridge.

How long have you had it running since?

Is it running now?

If not, plug it in.

Does the evaporator pipework inside the fridge frost over?

.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What is the evaporator pipe
Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.

Hiya,

You should see the mass of pipes inside the fridge behind the panel you've just said you had off.

.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi are the evaporator pipes on the bottom of the fridge inside
Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.

Hiya,

When you take the panel off, you see the mass of pipes, that is the evaporator.

.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is that behind the fridge
Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.

Hiya,

No, it's inside the fridge, behind the drawers..

It's behind the cover you said that you had taken off.

.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi I took the cover off the back of the fridge so I misunderstood youI have taken the drawers out of the bottom of the fridge and found some ice however when the fridge started to play up my wife put on the power cool so I just wondered if that would have caused ice the ice is right behind the plastic pipe above the second drawer but is only a small amount the panel your taking about is it the plastic one with the polystyerene behind it thanks
Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.

Hiya,

OK, so there is ice at the panel.

.

Unplug the appliance.

Defrost the panel behind the drawers and take the panel off to reveal the evaporator.

.

Fully defrost the ice on the fan and on the evaporator.

Fully defrost the drain channel and drain hole below the evaporator.

.

Reassemble and plug in the machine.

.

The fridge should work again.

.

If the fault returns quickly, you likely have a failed defrost circuit.

.

You can get a kit for this fault that will sort it out.

Check Ebay for RS21 kit and it will list the various kits available.

.

To determine which one you actually need, you'll need to use a multimeter and test the defrost element.

If it's ok, you don't need the element kit, just the fuse and sensor kit.

.

Check it out, see what you find and get back to me.

.

Hope this helps

.

.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok I will get that done how long will it take to defrost the fridge before I can actually take off the plastic panel I will get back to you when I have done this and let you know the out come what do you think the life of the fridge is because if it cost to much I wlill consider buying a new one many thanks regards James
Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.

Hiya,

It really depends on how iced up it is.

Use a steamer or similar to speed the process up.

.

The cost of repair will much depend on what is actually wrong.

You need to check and see if it's just been a blockage or whether there's a fault in the defrost circuit.

.

The life of the appliance can't really be measured.

As long as parts are available it can always be repaired.

It comes down to what you think is a fair price to keep the machine going, compared to replacing it.

.

My own machine is nearly 11 years old and has had numerous repairs over the years.

I just can't bear to part with it.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok thanks very much one last question where do I get hold of a multi meter and do you do you come outo repair fridges I so where are you based thanks James
Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.

Hiya,

You can get a multimeter at the likes of Maplins.

Yes, the company I work for does repair fridges, unfortunately, I'm not allowed to tout for business.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi I just took the panel off and there is very little ice on the pipes they are defrosted allready
Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.

Hiya,

How long has the appliance been running since it was last plugged in?

Is the freezer running at least minus 18?

.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi I've not plugged it in yet but runs at 20
Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.

Hiya,

OK, so it's defrosted.

Plug it in.

You only need to refit the panels.

See if it cools down, doesn't cool, blocks with ice or just works as it should.

.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.

hiya,

How is it going with the appliance?

Has it cooled down and begun working properly again?

.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi sorry I never got back to you sonnet however I needed to see what was happening with the fridge it went to around 21 and over night got back down to 6 which is what it normally runs at so I think it is probably ok now if it doesn't last long what's the next step many thanks
Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.

Hiya,

If the fault returns, you have issues with the defrost system in the fridge.

This would need you to test the elements inside the fridge, test the thermal fuse and replace the parts as necessary.

.

It's not a simple job as you can damage the pipework that carries the coolant.

.

See how it goes and get back to me if it's still faulty.

.

Good luck with the appliance.

.