Techdesk
Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK
13782322

Bosch Fridge-Freezer KGN34X01GB/05. Yesterday I cleared

Customer Question

Bosch Fridge-Freezer KGN34X01GB/05. Yesterday I cleared large chunks of ice from the bottom of the freezer. Today more ice began to form. I removed the bottom panel in the freezer compartment and found another large block of ice which I cleared away. Presumably this is forming because the drain pipe is blocked. QUESTION: Where is the drain pipe? How do I access it? How do I clear it?
Expert:  Techdesk replied 5 years ago.

Hiya,

Inside the freezer, take the cover off again.

Below the evaporator (mass of pipework) is the drain channel and the drain hole.

Fully defrost both, pour a little water down the drain hole to ensure it's draining and then refit the panel.

.

Plug the machine in again, it should work properly.

.

Check it out, see what you find and get back to me.

.

Hope this helps

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

There is nothing behind the panel which I took off!! There is another panel in the roof of the freezer compartment which seems to be protecting some pipework. I removed two screws from the front end of this "roof" panel, but was unable to remove the panel itself.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 5 years ago.

Hiya,

OK, thanks for that.

.

The one at the roof has the evaporator.

The one at the rear will only have had the spillage from the top.

Sorry about that.

.

The drain hole for the one you have is at the rear of the evaporator.

To get to it, you have to take the cover over the evaporator off (it's an awkward one to get to).

Then, defrost the drain hole and ensure it's clear.

Refit the panels and try again.

.

Let me know how you get on.

.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

As I said in my previous reply, the"roof" panel will not budge, despite the removal of the two screws supposedly keeping it in place. Is there another screw somewhere? Or is there some special knack of removing it?

Expert:  Techdesk replied 5 years ago.

Hiya,

No, the front comes off of it.

You'll find there are clips on the sides.

Then, the cover is clipped in too.

.

Sorry, not the easiest machines to get into.

.

Click here for the exploded view of the appliance.

It may help.

.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Unfortunately my laptop cant connect to the exploded view of the appliance. However I have managed to slide the "roof" cover about one and a half inches forwards, but no more than that. The pipework seems to be firmly connected to the "roof" panel. I cant find any clips on the sides and the cover doesn't appear to be clipped on to anything. I'm beginning to wonder whether we are talking about the same appliance??!!

Expert:  Techdesk replied 5 years ago.

Hiya,

I'm talking about the machine you've posted the E-Nr number for.

Have you removed the front of the evaporator cover first?

.

Not sure why your laptop can't connect to the diagram, it's a plain pdf file.

.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I'm sorry to be such a nuisance. I've checked the E-Nr number and it is the same.

The front of the "roof" panel in the freezer compartment is part of a tray which contains the evaporator. It seems to be one piece and I cant separate the front of it from the rest. When I try to move it, the whole tray slides forward. Presumably the wiring and drain pipes at the rear of the evaporator prevent further movement.

I dont know if there is anything more you can say?

Expert:  Techdesk replied 5 years ago.

Hiya,

If you can view the diagram, you'll see how the pieces are arranged.

It's not one piece, the front comes off.

.

Sorry, it's never going to work if you can only access certain things.

.

Sorry

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I have moved to my main computer and eventually managed to download the link. I can see how the pieces are arranged but quite frankly cannot separate them. If you can give me a tip as to how to do that,I'd be enormously grateful. If not, then I think we call it a day.

Thank you for your efforts.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 5 years ago.

Hiya,

Sorry, I'd have to see the parts and be there to get them apart.

.

Going by the drawing, there may be a couple of screws or plastic rivets on the front.

Then, it's a case of separating the parts.

.

Sorry, I'll opt out and open it to all again.

See if anyone has anything they can add.

.

thanks

Expert:  Gina-Moderator replied 5 years ago.

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic. It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Best,

Gina

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I have called in a local Appliance Repairer and he fixed the problem in a couple of minutes. He found that the blockage was in the outside rubber pipe at the rear bottom of the fridge-freezer.

In hindsight I think I should have been advised how to go about checking that part of the appliance first. To be honest, I think I would have expected an expert to know that and so I'm rather disappointed with the help I received (as well as beinng considerably out of pocket).

Martin