Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.
14831508

Ive got a Whirlpool AWG338 washer/dryer It does the slow spin

Customer Question

I've got a Whirlpool AWG338 washer/dryer It does the slow spin but when it's time to spin fast you can hear the mechanism trying to work but nothing happens. As a result the clothes are soaking wet when the cycle ends. Any help appreciated.
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Shantal,

I know that this is quite a simple fix - it happened before a few years ago and foolishly i didn't make a note of what to do, son please keep

searching for me.

Michael

Hello Michael,

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Expert:  Rob replied 3 years ago.
My name is Rob and Shantal asked me to se if I could help you with this.

The first thing to do is to select a normal 30 degree cycle with no clothes in it.
Watch it as it gets to the final spin.

Most of the water should have gone before it starts the slow spin. Does it do this or is there more water left in as it tries to spin?

Rob
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Rob,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I've asked my friend who's living in the flat to do what you suggest.

He'll call me in the morning to tell me and i'll be there late tomorrow and

on Wednesday to (hopefully) do whatever's needed.

So, I'll be in touch as soon as I hear from him.

Thanks again.

Michael

Expert:  Rob replied 3 years ago.
Hi Michael

Thats fine, post back when you can

Rob
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Rob,

Here's what happened:

During the wash cycle (with nothing in, as requested), it seems to be doing everything fine, including slow and fast spin.

When it reaches cycle 5 (spin), it does a few slow spins to start with and then stops completely mid-cycle, with water still in the drum. It takes 2 manual clicks of the dial to get it the cycle to start up again, at which point it makes a noise until the end of that cycle, but nothing happens - no slow or fast spin - and the water is still there. I also tried cycle 12 (wool spin), but nothing at all happens with that - again, the machine make a sound and the dial advances until the end of the cycle, but no spinning and the water remains.

So then I tried cycle 10 (slow spin) and it worked fine and the water disappeared!

Suggestions appreciated.....

Michael
Expert:  Rob replied 3 years ago.
Hi Michael

Im a bit confused, sorry. Initially you say it worked fine, then tell me it didnt?

Is the second paragraph, with clothes in?

Rob
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Rob,

It's all the same wash, with no clothes..

It worked fine during the wash cycle but not after that.

I don't know how these machines work but it seems that it's the fast spin that's not happening.

Michael

Expert:  Rob replied 3 years ago.
Hi Michael

Thanks, I understand now

This sounds like its the main board mot advancing correctly, hence you have to advance it manually, and it wont advance to the fast spin.

Unfortunately it is not possible to test this complex electronic baord at home.

Under the circumstances I would suggest an all inclusive repair for this.
This includes the call out , all labour, ALL PARTS and the vat.

The total cost is £125
Please see here for the details of the offer.

If you need more advice, please just ask me.
In the meantime,

Can I ask you to take a moment and rate my response? Please use the smiley faces which you should now see. Please remember you are rating me personally, not the website or the problems you have had with this machine.
If you need to ask me anything after rating, please just follow the link in the welcome email
Rob