Techdesk
Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK
13782322

Samsung RS21FCSV americain style fridge freezer

Customer Question

I have a Samsung RS21FCSV americain style fridge freezer, around 8 years old and has been working fine with no issues at all, last night the split load RCD tripped on the MCB consumer unit to the house, after 2 hours of unpluging everything the fridge/freezer was fingered as the guilty appliance. once re-setting the MCB the fridge worked for about 30 minutes before tripping the power again, pluged the fridge into different power sockets to ensure that was not the problem but this did not stop the fridge tripping the power again. Unplugged the fridge last night when we went to bed [clearly an electrical fault] and this morning plugging the fridge into the wall socket pulls the power straight away..... I would rather not spend £1,000 on a new fridge freezer if I can help it so if it's a simple problem/fix I can get someone in to repair it, if it's a terminal problem, then need to get a new fridge/freezer ASAP....... have checked the 13A fuse on the plug and thats fine btw.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.

Hiya,

Sorry for the delay in getting to your question.

Normally this would be one of the defrost heaters causing the problem.

Unplug the appliance.

Take the rear panel inside the fridge out.

Unplug the connectors on the rear wall (the ones revealed).

Visually check the heater that goes around the evaporator to see if it's failed.

Plug the machine in, if it trips, try doing the same in the freezer compartment.

If it doesn't trip, you'll need to replace the defrost heater(s).

Check it out, see how it goes and get back to me.

Hope this helps