Techdesk
Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK
13782322

I have a Bosch Washing Machine and am getting error 18 - Detergent

Customer Question

I have a Bosch Washing Machine and am getting error 18 - Detergent solution pump. I have followed the instructions in the manual and have removed all of the water from the drainage hose and am now attempting to unscrew the pump cover. The problem is that the pump cover will turn only one eighth to one quarter of a turn. Please advise
Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.

Hiya,

There's something in there jamming it.

It should unscrew 2 or 3 turns, then pull out.

If you've emptied the water (should be a draining tube beside the cap) then rapidly tighten and slacken the cap to get it to unscrew fully.

(It's a bit of work but it normally gets it to unscrew and saves dismantling the machine).

If you use pliers to tighten and slacken the cap, take care not to force it and break it.

If it still won't come out, let me know and I'll advise further.

Let me know how it goes

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have tried that for a couple of hours, but without success.

Please tell me what I should do next.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.

Hiya,

Can you post the E-Nr number of the appliance please?

It should be on a label in the door recess.

The next step, I'm afraid, is to strip the front off of the machine so you can access the drain pump / pump chamber assembly.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

There is nothing on the door recess. But on the soap/conditioner container there is 'logixx 8'. Is that any help

Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.

Hiya,

No, there should be a label there, if it's not there, it's been removed.

There's another label on the rear.

However, try this.

Take the dispenser drawer out.

Unplug the appliance.

Open the door, take the door seal retaining ring out.

Peel the door seal off.

Take the door lock screws out.

Take the plastic panel below the front panel off.

Take the screws holding the front panel on out.

Take the bottom right screw out of the dispenser.

Push the front panel down and lift it off.

You can now access the pump and housing.

Disconnect the hoses and wiring.

Take the assembly out.

Remove the debris through the hose ports.

Take the cap off.

Clean it all out.

Clean out the hoses too.

Reassemble and try the machine again.

Hope this helps

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I will try that in the morning

Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.
HiyaNo problem.You'll need a Torx driver for the screws.Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I never was able to get the front off of the machine while following the directions provided. It appears to be secured at the top by something, as well as at the bottom by the two screws mentioned.

After careful examination, I noticed that, having removed the service flap and plastic cover from the bottom of the machine, I could actually see the input hose to the jammed pump. I then carefully opened the clamp holding input hose to the pump, slid the hose off of the pump intake, and was able to remove sufficient debris to enable me to unscrew the pump cover, remove the rest of the debris, clean the whole assembly, refit the input hose and clamp to the pumpt, and return the cover to the pump.

Refitting the spring loaded door seal proved very tricky.....

Having reassembled everything on the machine except the bottom plastic cover - which I have left off to check for leaks - I am in the process of running a test wash.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.

Hiya,

Dont' know why you couldn't get it off, there's only the one screw in the dispenser that holds the front panel.

I did 2 machines today and had no problems.

As I didn't have the E-Nr number I wasn't able to check and see if your machine had a hidden screw that required the facia to be taken off, perhaps this is why you couldn't get it off?

Glad you managed the rest though.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

While I am on a 'free trial', I see that you have already charged my credit card twice!! Please cancel my account and refund the charges made to my credit card!!!

Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.

Sorry, I've nothing to do with your account.

Use the help button to contact customer services