Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

Maytag gas dryer. Have a parafin type smell when in use Is

Customer Question

Maytag gas dryer. Have a parafin type smell when in use Is this an exhaust issue or lack of combustion air.
Expert:  Michael replied 4 years ago.

Hi May I have the model # of the dryer so I can help you accurately.
Also how old is the dryer?

Tech Mike
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

do not have the model ref with me. the machine is 8 years old approx.

Expert:  Michael replied 4 years ago.

Thats ok for now Rich,
What you first meed to do is carefully pull the dryer out and remove the vent hose.
Then turn the unit on and check for good air flow coming out of the dryers vent.
If that is good then the vent hose will need to be cleaned if it is a solid line. If it is flexible then the hose will need to be replaced.
If you need me further please just ask me I'm here to help you:-)
Tech Mike
Expert:  Michael replied 4 years ago.

Rich also let me know if you dont have a good air flow i can help with the also:-)
Mike
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

how can we tell if we have a good airflow into the machine

Expert:  Michael replied 4 years ago.

Hi the unit pulls air from the rear vent cover, make sure that is clean of dust.
Then when you remove the vent hose, and run the unit, you should feel a good strong flow of air exiting the unit. If you don't feel that then the blower wheel may be bad.
But in most cases, the problem is the vent hose being plugged with lint.
Usually the best thing to do in that case is to replace that vent hose and that should solve this problem:-)
Tech Mike
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I will continue with you tomorrow.

Expert:  Michael replied 4 years ago.
OK Rich sounds good, have a nice day.
Mike
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Mike have checked the airflow and all is ok. The parrafin smell is still there and could be harmfull , headaches etc. any ideas. Richard.

Expert:  Michael replied 4 years ago.

Hi Rich,

Sorry for the delay site bug.

No the smell wont hurt you but if you have that smell the internals could be cleaned to make it smell less:-)

You would really want an appliance tec to do the cleaning because its easy to knock something off adjustment and then it would be even worse.

I hope this helps you:-)

Have a great day and please dont forget to rate my service as ok or better, that will allow me to schedule free follow ups with you!

Tech Michael

Expert:  Michael replied 4 years ago.

Hi Rich, I see a reply, but nothing in the body of the message?
Please if you need me reply.
Thank you Rich and have a great day!
Tech Michael